Current Debates

In reply to GW0DSP:
FWIW Mike… I have often seen posts from a number of folks that have not been anywhere near adhering to the Reflector Guidelines… I think Jon has been very lenient thus far in allowing many overly personal remarks from a number of people to pass by.

So I don’t see a problem… It’s not about “silencing” someone. It seems to be a sensible decision made by a very capable and responsible webmaster for the good of the site after reminders were given about good reflector conduct.

I’d like to get away from the moaning and personal discussion and back to SOTA topics that are interesting… I’m sure there are a few more who would agree that do not care to comment.

73 Marc GØAZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Marc,

This is exactly why I suggested a PR person for SOTA so contentious issues could be dealt with off reflector by email, but the MT rejected my suggestion. In the light of the aforegoing exchanges they might feel it appropriate to reconsider the issue, though not at present since they have a lot on their plate just now.

73, Gerald

In reply to G0AZS:

In reply to GW0DSP:
So I don’t see a problem… It’s not about “silencing”
someone. It seems to be a sensible decision made by a very capable and
responsible webmaster for the good of the site after reminders were
given about good reflector conduct.

I’d like to get away from the moaning and personal discussion and back
to SOTA topics that are interesting… I’m sure there are a few more
who would agree that do not care to comment.

73 Marc GØAZS

Hi Mark, I appreciate and fully accept your opinion on this matter, to me that’s what the reflector is all about, offering one’s personal opinion.

It’s not about Mick or Jon, who without question is a terrific webmaster, it’s about the damage that this type of action can cause to sota. It is almost a dictatorial act and kills the freedom of speech.
I think MT have enough on their plate right now and this latest action can only open a divide up which sota just does not need right now.

We all have a differing view on what constitutes moaning or a personal attack, Mick’s post in my opinion was neither.

I would ask Jon again to please consider reinstating Mick’s account asap before more damage is heaped on sota.

best regards Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

For your information Mike, the warning sent to Mick related to recent posts regardless how one chose to interpret the one in this thread.

As I said, I don’t think the warning sent to Mick will have been a surprise to many.

There is freedom of speech insofar as it pertains to the guidelines long laid down. Outside that, it seems, unfortunately that there is a need to act to remove those peristent in posting unpleasant material.

It is that type of nasty posting, as others on this thread have pointed out as well as me, that kill the freedom of speech since people become reluctant to take part.

I hear your charges of me being dictorial, divisive, an agent against free speech and a damager of SOTA. I don’t accept them.

This has been a difficult matter and I’d like to thank the folk who are being supportive.

73, Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

In reply to GW0DSP:

I hear your charges of me being dictorial, divisive, an agent against
free speech and a damager of SOTA. I don’t accept them.

I don’t charge you personally with the above Jon, but any action which says what a participant can or can not say is 100% dictatorial and against free speech.

If Mick’s past posts cost him his exclusion, why not exclude him then, why now after a harmless post, it doesnt make sense to me.

Any way that’s all I’ll say in case you use this post as a way to remove me and with me our news, it will be interesting to see if you ban any MT when a participant complains that their post is offensive as they have been in recent times.

73 Mike

Jon I have had a request from Mick.

He asks if you will remove his alert for our GM trip as he can’t log on to do it himself any more. I presume we have lost his spotting services too then.

cheers Mike

In reply to GM4ZFZ:
Can I suggest an overnight moratorium on posts in this thread?

A pause for thought may be beneficial.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Wise words Brian, but I fear that Jon’s decision is final and that’s a shame and Mick’s input will be a great loss to sota.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

I agree, Mike, but we don’t want anyone joining Mick due to hasty words.

I’m closing down, now, 73 all.

Brian

In reply to G8ADD:

Shame when you have to say that Brian, but again wise words, I guess we will all have to walk on egg shells now…

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
== we will all have to walk on egg shells now…====

all I can say is lets all do what SOTA’s about, walk up the summits and not on egg shells,
lets try and get things back to normal, who’s out walking this weekend and who’s chasing ???

sorry to hear that Mick 2e0hjd has been kicked of the reflector again.
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB :

who’s out walking this weekend and who’s chasing ???

Hi Steve,

I think everyone is looking at the forecast, preparing sand bags or out shopping for a new raincoat. If we do get some decent weather soon, the ground will still be sodden and access to the summits difficult. For those activating at the weekend it will not be easy.

sorry to hear that Mick 2e0hjd has been kicked of the reflector again.

Again? Has the HJD plain speak been unacceptable in the past? This is news to me.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to M0SGB :

Again? Has the HJD plain speak been unacceptable in the past? This is
news to me.

73, Gerald

News to me also Gerald, however I fail to see any malice, insult, harm or otherwise in Mick’s post. Certainly nothing to warrant a ban.
He was actually praising MT’s actions, so why the ban? I don’t understand it.
More to this than meets the eye.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Well Mike, Mick (and I don’t think that he will mind me saying this) lives in “cloth caps and whippets” land. Having lived in that area for a number of years I understand the direct manner that people can have and appreciate that it can be misinterpreted. It was a culture shock moving down to Northampton where you have to be careful and think things through in triplicate before saying anything, as people seem to take offence if you just look at them.

I find that I am still regarded as a Northerner and I am still tip-toeing around after living here for over 20 years!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I appreciate you point Gerald but unfortunately I can’t offer my opinion in this reply, due to recent censorship and threats of a ban on this thread.

73 Mike

In reply to GW1LFX:

Apologies for the confusion above Gerald, GW1LFX is my old B callsign and I just created a new account (and forgot to log out then log on as DSP) with it for my new personal goals for sota, CW only activating/chasing.

73 Mike GW0DSP/GW1LFX

In reply to GW0DSP:

I just created a new account with it for my new personal goals for sota, CW only activating/chasing.

More power to your elbow Mike, or fist. Mind you being a straight key op, I’d hope the power was in my wrist!

On the other issue - understood. I was just making a point - we aren’t all the same, never will be or indeed should be. The world would be a dull place if it didn’t have a range of different characters in it.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
“we aren’t all the same, never will be or indeed should be. The world would be a dull place if it didn’t have a range of different characters in it.”

I completely agree with your sentiments Gerald, consequently I think it is a travesty of justice when people are silenced. The nanny state has gone mad.
I hope this post doesn’t upset anybody and cause them to react. These are my opinions and I believe we are all allowed our opinions. When we are not allowed our opinions, then we will be existing in a facist state and our forefathers fought against that.

Peace and joy to all

73 Ian

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

On the other issue - understood. I was just making a point - we aren’t
all the same, never will be or indeed should be. The world would be a
dull place if it didn’t have a range of different characters in it.

73, Gerald

…which makes it even worse to see one of SOTA’s staunchest participants banned from offering his opinion in the future.
No other comment.

73 Mike

In reply to G7KXV:

In reply to G4OIG:

The nanny state has gone mad.
I hope this post doesn’t upset anybody and cause them to react.

Why should it Ian, it’s just a harmless personal statement.

When we are not allowed our opinions, then we will be existing in a facist
state and our forefathers fought against that.

HEAR HEAR!!

Peace and joy to all