Cumbria Weather

A full day and night of rain has left rivers very high with the radio reporting many road problems, mostly flooding and it’s still raining and forecast to do so for the rest of the day.
Take care,
73 Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G4RQJ:
Hi Rob Its just the same here the ground is water logged but the wind was not as strong as forcast.73 Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

The rain cleared us yesterday afternoon leaving the garden waterlogged, but the rain radar shows that it is coming back for another bash at us…and I’m off on Thursday for a long weekend camping in the Forest of Dean and a few activations! :frowning:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Brian,

I was going out today, nr Caerphilly, but now plan (tentative) for Thursday as it looks to be calmer & drier. Fri & Sat look dryish for FoD but a bit breezy :frowning:

Doubt we will be out at W/E as we will be getting ready to go away.

Hope to make contact from home.

Is Garway, WB-013, on your list for this trip?
Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

It wasn’t going to be, but I just looked it up and it looks an attractive proposition so it might be! I’ve got tired of May Hill and don’t like Ruardean!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MW6BDV:

I was due out today but have now moved the activation to Friday.

Such a shame about the wx Barry, I was hoping to catch you today. The one you alerted for this morning is on my missing list of North Wales S2S.

Unfortunately, I’ll be at the Hamfest on Friday :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G4RQJ
Have been stuck indoors all day watching the rain sheeting down and the wind blowing a hooligan here at the foot of Mt Eagle on the Dingle Peninsula, however the forecasters have promised better things for tomorrow. If they are correct will hopefully be doing two summits in North Kerry tomorrow.

Dave
EI/G4ASA

In reply to G4RQJ:

Weather has been what I have come to think of as perfectly normal here in Stockport - i.e. lashing down continually :frowning:

Hoping the North brightens up for the weekend… heading to GM/SS…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G8ADD:

I’ve got tired of May Hill and
don’t like Ruardean!

You could perhaps consider Wentwood (GW/SW-033), Brian. It’s not far from the Forest of Dean if you go via Monmouth. It is no more challenging than Ruardean, but it’s unusual because it’s in the middle of a wood!

Have a nice holiday … the weather is supposed to improve from Thursday onwards. It’s as black as night here in Tewkesbury on Wednesday afternoon.
:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to G8ADD:

I’ve got tired of May Hill and
don’t like Ruardean!

You could perhaps consider Wentwood (GW/SW-033), Brian. It’s not far
from the Forest of Dean if you go via Monmouth. It is no more
challenging than Ruardean, but it’s unusual because it’s in the middle
of a wood!

Have a nice holiday … the weather is supposed to improve from
Thursday onwards. It’s as black as night here in Tewkesbury on
Wednesday afternoon.
:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

I did the Wentwood last year, Walt - it had some of the biggest ant-hills I’ve ever seen!

The bad weather seems to have cleared us now, there is even some blue sky showing and the garden is already less water-logged.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4MD:

GM/SS in September/October? Are you insane? :wink:

Actually the WX is normally not bad the 1st 2 weeks of October. Maybe just a bit cool if the sky is clear in the evening. I’m heading South however.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4MD:

Andy
MM0FMF

It’s a well established ritual north of the border, they call it the “padding season” where people who have spent the summer rock climbing go in for long hill walks to get the legs in trim for the winter snow and ice climbing season.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It wasn’t going to be, but I just looked it up and it looks an
attractive proposition so it might be! I’ve got tired of May Hill and
don’t like Ruardean!

Brian,

Garway is not at all convenient if you are staying in the FoD but it does have a large brick structure on the summit to provide shelter from wind and does have Skyrrid Fawr, SW-016, just down the road for a second activation. That is a delightful proper little mountain. Not much room on the summit but superb views of the Black Mountains on a suitable day. Car park on B4521. N approach not recommended; note missing contour lines :frowning: Between the two is Edmunds Tump, SW-020, which is very unexciting and parking is awkward. (The Craig is about 1 km further N.)

Best wishes for the trip & hope to make contact.

Rod

PS Garway hill is not approached from Garway village. Humps in FoD near Staunton and Welsh Bicknor if you fancy a change.

In reply to M0JLA:

Garway is not at all convenient if you are staying in the FoD but it
does have a large brick structure on the summit to provide shelter
from wind and does have Skyrrid Fawr, SW-016, just down the road for a
second activation. That is a delightful proper little mountain. Not
much room on the summit but superb views of the Black Mountains on a
suitable day. Car park on B4521. N approach not recommended; note
missing contour lines :frowning: Between the two is Edmunds Tump, SW-020,
which is very unexciting and parking is awkward. (The Craig is about
1 km further N.)

Actually Skyrrid Fawr and Edmund’s Tump were my original thoughts for a day out. Garway looks a better choice than the tump. Unfortunately my XYLs knees have deteriorated to the point where she sits in the car and reads whilst I activate so I do less than I would like to in fairness to her.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Yes, that is unfortunate. The same has happened to several keen walking friends.

You can get a car quite a long way up Sugar Loaf (330m) if you start from the W outskirts of Abergavenny. Decent parking area with good views across to Blorenge, Clydach & Langattock quarries if I remember correctly (not parked there for years).
Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

You can get a car quite a long way up Sugar Loaf (330m) if you start
from the W outskirts of Abergavenny. Decent parking area with good
views across to Blorenge, Clydach & Langattock quarries if I remember
correctly (not parked there for years).

It’s still quite a walk !

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Such a shame about the wx Barry, I was hoping to catch you today. The
one you alerted for this morning is on my missing list of North Wales
S2S.

Unfortunately, I’ll be at the Hamfest on Friday :frowning:

Mike you have worked Cwmcelli S2S before (but perhaps you wanted it from SP-004):

2W0XYL/P 24.03.12 11:20 GW/NW-052 144MHz FM 2E0YYY/P S2S WB-005 Long Mynd, Mike.

Karen

In reply to 2E0XYL:

Hi Karen,

Just checked my log for that day and you’re spot on! Typo, I’ve logged it as NW-042. Now ammended.

Many thanks
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

According to some acquaintances most definitely :-s

Hope you’re right about the good spell, forecast not looking too bad atm which is worrying in itself…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Generally the 2nd week in October (8th-15th) has decent weather. There’s been high pressure and a tropo openings from the UK most years since I was licenced in 1990 that week.

Andy
MM0FMF