Craig Yr Allt

I am currently in Wales visiting son, daughter in law plus 2 grandchildren near Caerphilly. I escaped out for a quick walk today before lunch… grabbed the handheld and went up Craig Yr Allt,and managed to work a couple of the locals, and just as I was about to descend I heard MW6BWA/P calling CQ SOTA from GW/SW-011 Sugar Loaf. I did not have any details or indeed anything to write things down on. So Vicki, if you read this, my correct SOTA Ref should have been GW/SW-037 and not whatever I guessed at the time, hi hi. I hope you qualified the activation.
73 de Ken - GW0AXY/P (aka GM0AXY)

In reply to GM0AXY:
Many thanks Ken. I will go back and change my log. Have a good trip. Good to talk to you. 73 from Viki M6BWA

In reply to M6BWA:

Hi Viki,

It was very nice to work you from GW/NW-001 on New Years Eve. I thought your name had an unusual spelling, but as that is the spelling you gave over the air phonetically, I wrote it that way in my log.

A very nice summit for a first SOTA activation & I think you found yourself with more QSO’s than you expected. Sorry I didn’t work you on GW/SW-011 today, but that is one of a few areas of the UK I really struggle to reach on VHF.

Best 73 & Welcome to SOTA :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
Hi Mark

The spelling is unusual but it takes less time to spell out on the air than my correct spelling!! On a cold hill one makes such decisions. Working Snowdon was a doddle in the most fantastic scenery I have seen in many years of hillwalking (complete cloud base with one ridge appearing intermittently). After signing off I saw a Brocken spectre for only the third time in my walking career (if not a walker try Wikipedia??) However the long walk down to Llanberis, as I did not care to repeat my ascent route up the pyg track, earnt my 10 points!

Sorry you couldn’t make the Sugar Loaf (my local area) but will hope to be up in the North Wales mountains or the Lake District within a season or two.

I’ve enjoyed the first month of my call sign and look forward to many more SOTA contacts with you and others. 73

Viki M6BWA