Connectors for Linked Dipoles

Have just purchased some Powerpole connectors to make a Linked dipole but am unable to get the contact into the shell. Is this only possible with the Insertion Tool?
any help appreciated

Dave

In reply to G4ASA:

No insertion tool necessary Dave. Make sure the contact is lined up properly with the shell, push it in as far as it will go then, if it is reluctant to ‘engage’ just use a small screwdriver and push gently but firmly on the metal contact (from the cable end). You will hear a ‘click’ when it has engaged properly and a gentle tug on the cable should not pull the contact back out of the shell.

Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4ASA:

Hi Dave,

I’ve also encountered this problem whilst using Powerpole connectors. It’s usually due to me putting excessive solder on the connector. I initially try to remove the excess solder. That usually does the trick.

If not … try using a small flat bladed screwdriver to push the connector into the shell.

You can’t beat powerpole connectors for making link dipoles.

Robert
G0PEB

In reply to G0PEB:

… except possibly with the Belling Lee 2mm “banana” plugs and sockets that I have been using for some time now? Tiny, with silver plated contacts. B/L part numbers L1727 and L1737.

73, Richard

In reply to G0PEB:

Thanks Robert and Mike, should have had two Shredded Wheat this morning,a little extra elbow power and they are going in.

Thanks again

Dave

In reply to G0PEB:

I recall that John 'BVE orgiginally recommended them in this application. I have used them but have never really liked them for linked dipoles (they are good for what they are designed for though). I think John no longer uses them in this application and I also would recommendn looking for something better. If Richard 'ERP uses something else, that would be my first choice for consideration!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I’ve used Lucar spade terminals without any problems. Solder them on and apply a bit of heatshrink to strength the bit you pull on.

Cheap and cheerful, just like me! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Likewise, but the bullet variety of crimp connectors.

I.

I have had mixed success with powerpoles in a linked dipole, and was looking round for something else. I have seen these connectors for model purposes, and was just about to purchase a pack. I was going to try them with adhesive lined heat shrink to strengthen the wire. Has anyone any comments?

http://store.modelpower.co.uk/2mm-gold-connectors-x10-78-p.asp

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to G0IBE:

Bit pricey!

Much better prices and they were the near the top of my Google search.

OT: What the hell have they done to Google? It’s gone all Bing and Web2.0, so so wrong. (Shakes head.)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G0IBE:

I have had mixed success with powerpoles in a linked dipole, and was
looking round for something else. I have seen these connectors for
model purposes, and was just about to purchase a pack. I was going to
try them with adhesive lined heat shrink to strengthen the wire. Has
anyone any comments?

http://store.modelpower.co.uk/2mm-gold-connectors-x10-78-p.asp

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

I have been using the 2mm gold bullet connectors for linked dipoles for a year or so and I am more than happy with them. I have beefed up the wire junction with glue filled heatshrink.

Look on ebay for cheap prices e.g.:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Sets-2mm-Gold-Bullet-Connector-plug-RC-battery-/170438058765?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item27aee6630d

If you want a photo of one of the links I can post one.

Nigel. G6SFP.

In reply to G6SFP:

Thanks very much for that link. That is much cheaper. Only problem is that I was hoping to rebuild an antenna next week, for a possible mid-wales trip next weekend. Never mind, at that price I will wait.

I also see that they sell LiPo charging sacks at a low price as well.

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to G6SFP:

I have been very happy with using power poles and had no issues with them yet. Not so happy with the bullet connectors I used on my first linked dipole. The problems I had with standard automotive bullet connectors have been seizing, difficulty putting together and taking apart with numb fingers on hills, coming apart in the wind as they go slack, the female end becoming squashed and last time away one of the bullets broke off. I tried spade connectors on a prototype before deciding bullets but decided to give them as miss when I gashed my hand stringing the antenna up.

I rather like those 2mm gold bullet connectors you pointed out not because I think they will be better than the power poles but because they are so much cheaper (99p for 10 plus postage). I may try them for my mk III linked dipole. There should be no problem with seizing like the automotive bullets I used before with that gold coating.

When I first made a linked dipole I did not know anyone had done it before. Although I had discussed the idea with a lot of people for a lot of years before I got around to doing it I never came across anyone who had made one. It was only when I got involved with SOTA that I realised others were doing the same thing. Meeting with John GW4BVE I realised that his power pole solution was way better than my bullets. John also used some plastic card for winders where as I just coiled my wires often with a resulting tangled mess when I went to deploy it. Meeting up with another amateur on a hill I realised that he was using short guys from just above the first section of his mast. I had been guying at about 3/4 the way up the pole. Altering how I guyed lost me a lot of problems because the shorter guys were easier to handle and I could easily hold up the pole while putting the pegs in. I could go on but what I wanted to say was how I love the fact that what seemed like a great and simple idea with little room for improvement continues to develop in the SOTA community.

I have been thinking of a telescopic dual band 2/70 collinear for SOTA which would be built inside a fibre glass SOTA pole. Design suggestions gratefully received.

Regards GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

Fair comment Steve, seeing those gold ones I can’t argue, they’re loads better than the automotive type and so shiny…

In reply to GW8OGI:

When I originally trimmed my 80m/60m/40m dipole to resonance I used screw terminal block connectors, but that was only at the construction stage.

I have been very happy using 4mm banana connectors, although smaller (ie 2mm) connectors would work just as well.

I knew I had some egg insulators somewhere but couldn’t find them when I made my antenna, so I used plastic cable ties as temporary insulators between dipole sections.

I have been very surprised at how well this very cheap solution has stood up to the rigours of all my HF activations.

I am now considering not bothering to replace the cable ties with “proper” insulators as I usually carry a handful of ties with me anyway, which would make a summit repair very easy indeed.

A couple of photos of my dipole links for anyone interested,

Imgur

Imgur

The antenna set up on G/SP-007 on 7th March 2010.

Imgur

Mark G0VOF

In reply to GW8OGI:

so shiny…

Shiny is always good. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like