Compulsive SOTA Disorder

Over the years I have met many SOTA activators. The keenest have often described getting a rather unpleasant feeling that they should be out activating after even a short period with no summits. This seems to be accompanied by compulsive surfing of sota summits lists and the sota database. The feeling is strongest when the weather is calm and dry. Is this a common occurrence?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Is this a common occurrence?

Yes. You then combine the list and database surfing with frequent searches for descriptions of routes up the hills, parking places and photos. Then you repeat it all again.

And again.

And again.

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Absolutely. There is also a misconception amongst those not affected that a temporary remission should be gained by actually getting out and activating some more summits; whereas true sufferers will confirm that this only intensifies the symptoms.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to MM0FMF:

This is related to two common disorders that I meet frequently at the climbing club: compulsive climbing disorder is the worst, leading to perpetual browsing through guide books, magazines and the net, unending earnest discussions over a pint or three, and after closing time a tendency to stop and caress the occasional poorly mortared wall or railway/canal bridge, especially the bits of it that are several metres up! Then there is compulsive Munro-bagging disorder, similar to the above but with added perpetual discussions about access routes and the best way up - even whilst indulging in the activity - and less of the tactile enjoyment of man-made edifices. However, this latter disorder tends to progress to completion and degenerate into Corbettitis, whilst both disorders tend to generate an annual disturbance known as Alpinitis leading to a lemming-like migration to alien and benighted areas of the world that don’t do decent bitter and a morning fry-up, but on the other hand tend to stand their miles up on end. There is a sub-goup that suffer from winteritis: about this time of year they can be seen sitting with a far-off expression on their faces whilst sharpening ice axes, crampons and more esoteric gear.

Oddly enough there are no self-help groups analogous to AA, these people seem to enjoy their suffering.

That reminds me, I need to replace my crampon bindings…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yes. You then combine the list and database surfing with frequent
searches for descriptions of routes up the hills, parking places and
photos. Then you repeat it all again. … And again. … And again.

Strange, I was doing just that over lunch. I didn’t know my webcam was switched on Andy! :wink:

One feature that I’ve never really come to terms with is that on a fine day I can be gardening and I get what is almost a guilt complex over the fact that I am not up on a summit giving chaser points away. For some reason the reverse never occurs - I have absolutely no thoughts of gardening when I’m up on a summit!

Gerald G4OIG

Richard,

You don’t have to explain to us why you “pointlessly” activated Shining Tor this morning. You are amongst friends here.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3CWI:This is a true fact,I do it most day’s, first I check the “spots” and do my best to chase them up if they are there then I start checking My chasser/activating logs next I check for infomation on local summits to me followed by checking them on google maps and after all that I get the TomTom out and check if the mileage is the same as google.
I do this on most day’s!!

Have lost my merps.

Is it a medical condition??

ps. I watch the utube Sota vids most days.

G7OEM…I think

In reply to G3CWI:

… The keenest have often
described getting a rather unpleasant feeling that they should be out
activating after even a short period with no summits. This seems to be
accompanied by compulsive surfing of sota summits lists and the sota
database. The feeling is strongest when the weather is calm and dry.

It was the wine talking … I never admitted to it (did I?).

73, Richard

Well, almost 10 days now with a total lack of activity here due to qrl. Driven by an almost permanent desire I am already being haunted by some kind of inner agitation which repeatedly brings up the same questions: Which one could be next and when could it be done?

I did some experiments with my Blue Cool Radio this evening and noticed that the XMTR still puts out nominal pwr of 5 wtts even if the supply voltage drops down to 9.5 volts. That’s fine, because I’ve seen some very affordable LiPo packs of 4000mAh 3S which will replace my 10-cell AA 2500mAh NiMH battery case solution soon. The NiMHs have well done their duty, I used them for over three years, but the capacity went down to not more than 1600mAh now. Two new sets of reasonable NiMHs would be more expensive than 2 LiPo packs as mentioned above. Time for a change!

73 Bernhard DL4CW