Cloud (yet) again

Despite a belly full of pancakes, and the disappointment of seeing Macclesfield concede two late goals to go down at home to Lincoln, I slept well and was up with the alarm at 6.00am this morning. Looking out of the window revealed a wet start to the day, and that strong wind was still howling around the garden, let alone the summit of The Cloud. So I dawdled for a while before eventually deciding to don the waterproofs and do a 2mfmhhrd activation.

Arriving at Cloudside later than usual, just before 7.30am, I noticed that it was not raining and the skies were clear. Waterproofs were not donned. The rucksack was left in the boot, along with all my aerials.

The ascent as dawn was breaking was a joy and I felt in good shape physically. This regime seems to be working, and has none of the many irritations of the gym. I said hello to the man in the yellow jacket who walks over this summit every morning at 7.40am and pushed onto the trig point.

Despite the limitations of my working conditions, five contacts were quickly made, all with mobile stations driving to work in the Manchester and Wigan areas. The last station in particular was interested to find out more about SOTA, and so we continued the conversation on the GB3MN repeater as I descended.

17 down, 3 to go, for this run.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

So what are you going to do to keep your level of fitness up? I wholly agree about using a gym by the way - 100% boredom while incarcerated in a windowless environment with sweaty individuals. No comparison to walking up hills with something pleasant to look at in the fresh air.

73, Gerald

P.S. In the past when I tried gym sessions, I typically spent 1 hour on a workout, 5 minutes in the shower, 15 minutes in the sauna, another 5 minutes in the shower and then two hours in the jacuzzi to come out looking like a pickled walnut. It was the only way to make the sessions bearable!

So what are you going to do to keep your level of fitness up?

This!

I quit the gym, and instead I walk up The Cloud on every work day - either before work or after. Even just a relatively short easy walk like The Cloud is proving to be more beneficial to my fitness (and weight) than the expensive state-of-the-art gym. And I enjoy it, all the time I am walking on The Cloud, whereas in the gym I was just looking forward to the end of the session all the time.

I supplement the regime with a game of squash every Wednesday, football for the staff team every Friday, and SOTA activations (for points hi!) with Jimmy and Liam whenever weekend opportunities arise. But the ‘bread & butter’ of my fitness regime is Bosley Cloud (the hill, not the beer).

It also serves as a CW-keep-fit too, because I rarely keep up the practice from the shack!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

I have been reading your postings herewith and also your SOTA Database log. Analysis shows that you have activated Cloud 130 times but only scored 7 points (2002 to 2008 inclusive) for all your efforts! You are clearly not insane, so I can only interpret this as huge dedication to SOTA chasers for whom you have generated no less than 1002 chaser points on this one hill alone. It’s not the only SOTA on which you are happy to score zilch either. (E.g. Gun)

Just as important, you have bettered your fitness but what continues to impress me no end, is the fact that you learned CW from scratch and are now enjoying the fruits of this labour at a very competent level, on no less a ‘SOTA trunk road’ as 7032 KHz. ‘18 CW QSO’s’ etc.

I dearly wish I had a hill in my locale to keep fit on and practice CW. There are hills of sorts around Scarborough but without any (radio) incentive to climb them. The best we have on offer in this district, is a 500 ft climb DOWN a cliff and an activation on 3.760.

What an example to your lads and others to. Keep it up; each zero in that crazy log matrix of yours, means a bit more fitness and stress relief as well as more chaser points handed out.

I am not without envy,

73, John.
YSS.

What can I say? Very kind words from England’s top activator - thanks John.

Tom M1EYP

I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning. After a one hour lie-in, I hauled myself up and set off for work. I thought that I had the time for a walk up and down The Cloud G/SP-015, even if not for an activation. I calculated that I needed to summit by 0757 and immediately descend in order to get to work on time. With an enforced week off from my morning regime imminent, I was still keen to do the walk even if radio wuld not be involved.

I reached the trig point and checked my watch - 0753 UTC. Ahead of schedule! I put out a speculative call on 145.500MHz FM, and was immediately called by Keith M3LUE/M, near Rochdale, and who is a regular caller to my dawn activations. That was the only QSO as it turned out, but chatting on the GB3MN repeater during the descent revealed a couple more that had been listening, but not heard anything. Warrington and Penketh seems to be a bad direction from The Cloud.

So quickly off to work it was, but at least I had given out my 1,003rd chaser point from The Cloud - if he claims it!

I will try and get back to a 20 contact 40m CW effort tomorrow!

Tom M1EYP

When one wakes up for a second time in a morning, one suspects some time has been lost. So it was today, and my second awakening time put my originally intended 40m CW activation out of the question. I still had time for a walk and a spot of 2mfmhhrd though, so I improvised a quick breakfast of a glass of water and a slice of cheese, self-spotted my updated working conditions and ETA, and jumped in the car.

At the crossroads just before Cloudside, the VW car was parked as usual. This meant that the man in the yellow jacket that does two circuits on this hill every morning would be there again, as usual. As I set off on my ascent, there he was striding down towards me.

My first call on S20 brought Macclesfield & DRS member Greg 2E0RXX, and so I was up and running without soliciting on the GB3MN repeater. After a few unanswered calls, he was followed by Liam M3ZRY from upstairs in the same QTH! I then thought I’d better check for my regulars on the repeater, and sure enough Keith M3LUE/M was wanting to QSY for the contact.

I was halfway down the flight of steps when Mr Yellow Jacket overtook me, on his second lap. We exchanged greetings for a second time, and I went to work - and maybe he did too.

This was my 19th consecutive daily activation on The Cloud G/SP-015. I am hoping for 20 tomorrow morning, and really do intend returning to 40m CW. Hopefully the lethargy that has prevented that in recent days can be overcome.

Tom M1EYP

…and I think that this activation might just have been the 250th of this hill!

I really need to bag those remaining summits from the Database ‘Top 50 Most Popular Summits’ list - Kirkby Moor G/LD-049, Red Screes G/LD-017, Fairfield G/LD-007 and, er, Kahleberg DM/SX-003…!

Tom M1EYP

OK, last one for a bit. This morning I got up at the usual 6am and within 20 minutes was on the road. I wanted to do one this morning in order to get back in the 40 CW groove, and to complete what would be 20 consecutive daily activations of The Cloud G/SP-015.

Upon setting up, I realised that the CQWW RTTY was in full swing, and the usual QRG of 7.032 was unusable. However, a good clear spot at 7.023 was found, so I self-spotted on here. The result was a nice run of 11 contacts (6 DXCCs - DL, HA, G, OK, OH, HB) on 40m CW. After packing up I called on 2m FM to work MDRS member Andy G1DDU, and Barry 2E0PXW/M.

I heard Terry G0VHS from down near Weymouth nice and strong on 145.475MHz and realised there was a lift on. Maybe I shouldn’t have done HF after all; it would have been a perfect opportunity to put the new SB270 through its paces!

Cheers all, now going QRT … for a week at least!

Tom M1EYP

And back again! Albeit with a whimper!

Just out for a stroll with Liam before tea, with the VX-7 and logbook in the jacket pocket.

First call was answered by fellow MDRS member Roger M3VVP in Wilmslow. Second, third, fourth, fifth and subsequent calls weren’t answered!

It’s creeping towards Spring, but it isn’t getting any warmer up there, I can tell you!

Tom M1EYP

And back up again this morning. And an even wimpier whimper!

I must admit, my priority is the exercise. Since I stopped the gym, which was costing me far too much in terms of both time and money, I resolved to do the stiff, steep but quick ascent of The Cloud more or less daily as an alternative. I will return to using 817/dipole/CW/SSB/SB270/SLAB etc for “decent” activations when it gets warmer and the wind dies down, but at present it is a case of head down, get the exercise done and take a handheld in the coat pocket!

So, as it turned out, just one contact - Keith M3LUE/M - today, but mainly my own fault, because I spent most of my summit time involved in a very interesting natter about Diego Garcia/British Indian Ocean Territory on the GB3MN repeater.

Probably do it again tomorrow morning…

Tom M1EYP

Up to the dizzy heights of three QSOs for the activation this morning. Keith M3LUE/M was there again, tail-ended by Peter 2E0IFF/M. A surprise then was GW0DSP, who I thought had given up on the early mornings, but of course there was another dawn activation for him to chase today. Mike kindly said he would let John G4YSS / GX0OOO/P know that I would be on for another 5 minutes for a 2m S2S contact to Old Man of Coniston G/LD-013. Then I remembered that the clock on my VX-7R was 5 minutes slow, and I had to descend right away…

I should have waited. I hit traffic in Chell and was late for work anyway :frowning:

Thanks for the calls.

Tom M1EYP

And back down to scraping the bottom of the barrel with a single contact today.

Guess who? Keith M3LUE/M. I think he might be getting the bug; he was asking me all about my forthcoming GI SOTA trip and on what bands/modes/antennas he might best be able to work me.

It was grey and murky today, but remaining dry. It was rather cold, and rather windy. The man in the long boots and yellow jacket was already coming towards me on his second lap as I was ascending, so I must have been on the late side. However, with no-one calling me at all after Keith, I was slightly ahead of schedule on my descent, and made it to work on time.

Tom M1EYP

The behaviour of the yellow-coated knee-length leather-booted man, who appears on The Cloud summit just after dawn every morning had gained my interest. I had ascertained that his descent route was the standard one down to Cloudside parking area, but noted that his car was always parked by the crossroads just north of the summit. He always appeared from that direction, so what was his ascent route?

The other day, I noticed a stile and National Trust sign right by that crossroads, and a vaguely trodden path heading steeply and muddily uphill from it. I had to find out for myself.

This morning, Jimmy, Liam and I had some time to kill before taxiing the youth of Macclesfield to the football match, so we decided to follow in the footsteps of the yellow coat and the leather boots, and see how one could emerge onto the rocky summit of The Cloud from down below.

Whether Mr Yellow Coat undertakes his regime at the weekends I have no idea, but his car was not there when we arrived at the crossroads between Bosley and Timbersbrook (SJ902640)- not really surprising as we approach midday. We skipped across the road and climbed the stile, enthused by the prospect of a completely new and completely different ascent of a very familiar hill.

We began with a haul up a steep and slippery grassy bank, ducking under low-flying tree branches as we did. As the ground levelled off slightly, and the trees cleared, we could see that this was a very different way to ascend The Cloud. Immediately ahead of us was a vertical tower of rock, reaching high above our heads, more like an approach of Ingleborough G/NP-005 from Chapel-le-Dale. Either side of us were steep boulder fields, more like the experience of the final climb on Great Gable G/LD-005. Behind us were the vast and far-reaching views across Cheshire, the viaduct, Jodrell Bank and the hills of the Peak District. After only a few minutes, my car was just a visible silver speck some distance below our feet.

The route now followed a narrow stone stairway, increasingly steep, and increasingly deeply cut into the hillside. The trench was taller than Liam at times. At the top of this section appeared to be an ambiguous T-junction. We took an educated (and ultimately correct) guess at “left”, and contoured around the rocks followed the indistinct track. We were soon proven right when the route curled round and began to ascend steeply once again. This became rather scrambly, and our hands were frequently down on the grass and rocks as we hauled ourselves up several large pulls. The rock formations suddenly looked more familar and we realised we were one pull from the summit escarpment of The Cloud. Jimmy and Liam started to competitively jockey for position ready for a final sprint to the trig point.

This was a very satisfying and interesting ascent. It took about 15-20 minutes longer than usual, with an extra 250 feet or so of vertical ascent. It is probably the most interesting route I have tried yet.

On the summit, we huddled behind the trig point to avoid the worst of the strong north-westerly wind, and used the Yaesu VX-7R to make the activation. Despite the limited working conditions, we made contacts from all over the North West and Midlands in a half-hour stay on summit.

The descent route was the standard one down to the Cloudside parking area, but then was necessarily extended by walking down Tunstall Road back to the crossroads. A pleasing 75 minutes work overall, and now it was back to Macc to pick up the other two boys that were coming to the football with us.

Many thanks to all the stations that worked us.

Tom M1EYP

For my ten billion and oneth posting, I can report that I ascended from Cloudside with Jimmy and worked Eleri MW3NYR/P for S2S contacts to Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042. The weather was bright and sunny, a bit chilly and a bit windy. Liam remained in the car, using the FT-817 as a receiver and monitoring our activity, successfully following us around the 2m band as it turned out. This was for the benefit of my friend and his son who were also in the car. We had all been to Waterworld in Stoke-on-Trent for a few hours of wet fun. Jimmy and I failed in our bid to tempt any of the three of them to accompany us to the summit!

Continued improvement in the weather may bring about the reintroduction of some HF and CW on The Cloud in the next few days.

Cheers, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

For my ten billion and oneth posting

…and many many more billions to come, no doubt!!

I’m sure you read the rest Tom, I just used ANY regular poster as a comparrison example, hi.

Email update received thanks, check your email for my reply.

Cheers Mike

In reply to M1EYP: Hi, Tom. Ventured onto The Cloud with my son-in-law late this morning, on an exploratory walk. Mainly to check just how much strength/fitness I’ve lost since last October (A lot - Martin can keep up with me!) but I did have the kit for HF. Judged it was far too windy to set anything up and we went over to Gun Hill for a short circular walk.
We think that if we are dropped off at the Cloud, activate, WALK over to Gun, activate, we will have time to walk on to the pub at Meerbrook to await transport. We await warmer weather.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

That sounds a fair old walk that Dave. GL with it if you decide to go for it. In fact, if you do it at a weekend or in school holiday time, Jimmy and I would be interested in keeping you company - it sounds a nice little challenge. That would also open up the transport options with the linear walk, with the possibility of one car at one end and one at the other.

I’ve not been in The Lazy Trout for years. It used to be a regular refreshment/lunch stop when I was whizzing around the Staffordshire Moorlands doing mobile VHF broadcast DXing in the 1990s.

All the best,

Tom M1EYP

On Monday 3rd March 2008, I dropped in on my local summit on the way home from work. Already, there is no danger of having to rely on torchlight, so the whole thing was much more relaxed.

This time I went for the 40m CW activation, and had a really good time with 15 contacts and 8 DXCCs - F, HA, S5, DL, HB9, G, UY and GW. Plenty of people (and dogs) were passing over the summit during the operation, and wanted to know what I was doing. Thanks to all the callers.

On Tuesday 4th March 2008, I did a pre-work hit with a morning-fitness-regime fast ascent, three quick contacts on 2m FM (with the handheld), and down again (and onto work).

I hope the weather warms up a bit; I have lots of new antennas to try - but I can’t be bothered with frozen hands…!

Tom M1EYP

I originally alerted for a 2m FM activation for this morning, fully intending to march from Cloudside to the summit and bag a few quick contacts on my handheld. However, I was awake by just after 5am, and wide awake by 6am after lying in bed wondering what to do! So I changed my alert to 40m CW and brought it forward half-an-hour.

It was very cold (-2 degrees) and crisp on the summit as I set up. Mr Yellow Jacket was seen on both of his laps, as I called CQ endlessly on 7.032MHz. In over 30 minutes of operating, I made just four contacts; pretty slow going! But I still got my exercise, the views and the CW practice! Zilch response on 2m when I did switch to the handy, so off to work…

Tom M1EYP