Chaser techniques

Hi Steve.

“2 and 0” is not a valid signal report. In the RST system (RS system for SSB), signal strength is on a scale from 1 to 9. Strength zero would indicate that there is no detectable signal present … i.e. you cannot hear the station at all.

Readability
R1 Unreadable
R2 Barely readable, occasional words distinguishable
R3 Readable with considerable difficulty
R4 Readable with practically no difficulty
R5 Perfectly readable

Signal Strength
S1 Faint signals, barely perceptible
S2 Very weak signals
S3 Weak signals
S4 Fair signals
S5 Fairly good signals
S6 Good signals
S7 Moderately strong signals
S8 Strong signals
S9 Extremely strong signals

[Source: RSGB Amateur Radio Operating Manual]

Walt (G3NYY)

Just for fun, there is a free on-line IQ test at

There are 38 questions and the target time to answer them all is 13 minutes.
I have just done it, and the result was about what I expected!

However, I then did another, different, IQ test at

and got a significantly better score, which put me into the “Gifted” band of results. Ha ha! I think I’ll claim that the second result was the correct one. (The second test was much more graphics-orientated, with most questions involving completion of a series of graphical images. I found it much more difficult to do, but ended up with a much higher score. Go figure!)
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY) … never knowingly off-topic

Agreed Walt. In the WAB blurb it specifically says that for a valid report neither values can be zero. If such reports are exchanged, then the contact is null and void.

1 Like

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the chase through the QRN. I checked my log, and I wrote your report in as 20, not 02, so either you did send 20 or I ‘corrected’ it between ears and paper :smiley:

Though I’m sure I could produce an R0 signal easily enough especially late in an activation :slight_smile: That was my second real activation on Monday, and I’m feeling how hard it is to make clear consistent and correct QSOs despite the conditions out there – remembering that I’ve got five watts so will be a weak signal to pretty much everywhere.

So thanks to the patient chasers and 73s to all,
Graeme

There are times as a chaser and its happens often, The QSB factor

Times sat there listening and sometimes straining the old ears and you call in and the activator signals drop into the noise as he answers you. Oh that gets my goat :slight_smile:

But never give out a null report, I tend to sit and listen if he’s heard me, they will call back and once i can hear them i will reply. Other wise I will sit there till they propagate back in again. So if you hear me calling you and i don’t reply, don’t worry am straining to hear you and rather sit and wait till it picks up again and then work you with less QRM caused and give some one else a chance while i re-wait me turn.

Simples :wink:

Been a Sota chaser for nearly 2 years now and learnt a lot and developed my way of doing it, serves me well and instead of going horse through constant calling. I wait, I pounce and hopefully make the contact.
if not there always be another activator popping up that summit another day.

But it still amazes me on the amount of activators on Pure QRP still put out a good signal dispute conditions being low at times and even tickles me on me 10w on where i reach chasing Sota’s and on various bands on a daily basis.

They did warn me its addictive and by Christ they were right :heart_eyes:

karl :sunglasses:

Hi Graeme

Thanks for that, look forward to chasing you again, maybe an STS!.. the S Meter showed nothing and you were coming and going, but I heard the relevant words to make the contact, so will stick with the 2…

73 Steve 2M0SKJ

1 Like

It is a very real possibility, especially on VHF/UHF where I am often told that I am 50. However, I always reject such reports and request that the log record shows S1. I am afraid the ‘S’ meter has a lot to answer for.

73, Gerald G4OIG