Celebrating World Radio Day on Monte Autore I/LZ-301

Today is World Radio Day, an initiative launched by Unesco to remind everyone of the beauty and uniqueness of this means of communication and I decided to celebrate it with a beautiful Sota activation in the mountains of Lazio. Together with a group of friends we went to the Simbruini Mountains, about an hour and a half drive from Rome where it is possible to find some very beautiful mountains. Together with them we walked for about 10 km making a path ring that also included the Autore mountain, listed on Sota I / LZ-301 (1.854 mt. high) peak that was worth activating. We found a lot of snow mixed with ice all along the way and the weather was not great, covered with a strong cold wind.

At the top I mounted my fishing rod, used as a random wire antenna mount, and installed my usual Ft-817 Qrp station along with the Atu-100. I only did 8 QSOs on 20 and 30 meters, the cold was intense and I didn’t want my friends to have to wait on this windy peak. After the QSOs we continued our walk and around 16 local we returned to Rome. Overall a nice activation, perhaps too fast but with the pleasure of connecting friends in CW (F4WBN, EA2DT, DL1FU to name a few) and to breathe a splendid mountain air.

9 Likes

Many thanks for nice report !

I tried to S2S, called but failed :frowning:

73, Jarek OK8MA / SP9MA

2 Likes

What a great way to celebrate World Radio Day, Andrea! Thanks for sharing your report.

Cheers,
Thomas
K4SWL

2 Likes

sorry but “local” qrm on the summit and few time to active was the mood of today…

73 And IW0HK

1 Like

Many thanks and will wait for next occasion :wink:

73, Jarek

2 Likes