Call sign prefix for US operator in Wales and England

MW, Paul when you are in Wales ^

The inverse is interesting too. When I operated in France, I was F/G2 rather than F/GW2. Even though I live in NW for the next 20 days…

When I received my intermediate license and foundation they always sent it without the regional prefix, so I assume its correct to omit when traveling abroad, as indeed most others do.

Anyway, enjoy operating abroad. Its rather fun !

Jonathan

Bottom of the table on page 6 of the CEPT TR16/01 document that I pointed you to:

/MW it is then.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

All I need now is cooperative weather and a cooperative back.

Paul

Unfortunately that document is rather unhelpful when “United Kingdom” actually includes “Wales” and “Scotland”, but not the other places.

And people wonder why there was so much support for independence!!!

It seems perfectly clear to me - you use “M” if you aren’t in any of the other places!

Not really - it is romanticism, and although the Scots put on a good facade of hard-headedness they are all romantics at heart!

Brian

You are right Barry - England should be shown indented under United Kingdom with the letter M against it. England is only another part of the United Kingdom and in principal could also seek independance from the UK at some point (not likely but logically possible).

So who knows someone at the CEPT to fix the error in the table ??

Ed.

Ed, I know people in CEPT who can fix errors. Looking at the rest of T/R 61-01 I notice that for other countries (like France) the same structure is used as for UK. The reason must be that CEPT is administration oriented. An additional “problem” is that GD, GJ and GU are not part of the United Kingdom.
I wouldn’t bother and just operate with the prefix for the DXCC entity we are visiting.

73, Hans PB2T

1 Like

You will find the following Guidance Notes contain all the information you need.

Paragraphs 2.29 and 2.107 are particularly relevant.

Walt (G3NYY)

That’s the “new” guidance doc Walt. For the absence of doubt, it’s guidance for UK stations only and now says in 2.107 use the callsign without any RSL (regional secondary locators M,W,D,I,J,G). The actual licence I have says “unless instructed otherwise by the host country, use the Callsign specified in Section 1 of this Licence after the appropriate country Callsign prefix.”

So the guidance notes says I should sign F/M0FMF/p in France and the licence says I should sign F/MM0FMF/p in France. :smile: I noted this update/change/volte-face when the guidance was published and used F/M0FMF/p this June and someone commented I should be F/MM0FMF/p. That’s what I would have used until this doc was published!

The world wont stop turning if the wrong prefix is used. But it shows how hard it is to get something simple like a call correct. Can you imagine what the BREXIT negotiations will produce? Perhaps we should just forget about leaving…

1 Like

Theresa has ruled that out earlier today.

1 Like

Hi Hans (and Barry),
when visiting the UK, I use my English callsign G8GLM amended with W,D,M etc. depending where I go to in the UK.

*** HOWEVER ****

Look at this:

I reported the issue yesterday and by today it has been corrected !!! I am really BLOWN AWAY at that service!!
the revised PDF has replaced the old one and is located here: www.erodocdb.dk/docs/doc98/official/pdf/TR6101.pdf

It just goes to show that there ARE some diligent civil servants in some European organisations. Needless to say I sent a reply thanking the administrative office for a job well done!

73 Ed.

2 Likes

But just to confound you, the latest licences being issued give the callsign with a wildcard. So in section 1 of Caroline’s licence it gives the callsign:

M#3ZCB

with a note “Replace ‘#’ with an RSL in accordance with Clause 2 or Note (c)”

Neither clause 2 nor note (c) covers the case we’re talking about.

:sob:

On consideration, that’s probably a good thing. I should print a new version of my validation doc(s) and see if mine match.

It’s slightly naughty that they did it without acknowledging a revision on the cover page or even changing the edition date.

1 Like

:scream:

ROTFL!

I challenge you to do that, Andy.

I registered on the new Ofcom Licensing Portal a couple of days ago. I can find no way of viewing my current licence, let alone print it out! All I can see is my callsign, the Licence reference number, and the “original date of issue” (which is wrong).

Wlat

My callsign - as per QRZ.com - the world licencing authority :slight_smile: (Maybe licencing should be contracted out to them by all licencing authorities? a touch of KISS here me thinks - hi hi!) - and ‘Sorry OM G4COX/M is not listed in QRZ.com.’ - ludicrous licensing system (though to get around this I have registered G4COX - doh!). Bit like our car registrations. Only a civil serpent committee could up with such an inefficient system - though possibly jobs-for-the-boys here :smile:.

C’est la vie

Jack(;>J

I wonder which “paragon of outsourcing excellence” our government used: Accenture, Crapita, Fujitsu, HPE, IBM?

I sit next to an ex-Accenture guy. Oh the stories he can tell you about how the management works there.

Accenture have been appointed to “manage” my BT pension!

Wlat