Buddistick & Other Verticals

For some summits I have started using a Super Antenna (similar to the Buddy Pole). I find it useful on very rocky or very busy tops. In other situations I use either a linked dipole (20/40m) or linked wire verticals (one vertical/three radials - tuned to two bands. 20/10).

The SuperAntenna is definitely a compromise but works well in some situations and can be safer (compact, not such a trip hazard). I also like that it is multi band. There are two factors to make it consistently usable. I always use a chocked RG174 feedline and I use an elevated radial. A long length of wire on a kite winder, marked for the different bands. The SuperAntenna comes with a radial, that is four different lengths of wire that are laid out on the ground. In my experience in some situations it works well and in others not so well. The elevated wire is more constant. Whilst my radio (Xiegu G90) has an amazing tuner, I find I don’t have to use it, I check the SWR, tweak the antenna coil and go!

I hope that helps, Thanks Mark for your help!

73s Martin

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience with this vertical HF. I have considered Super Antenna, but due to its pricey tag, haven’t taken any action. Here at Canadian Rockies, there are times summit is too small, no tree and windy. Only for these conditions, I have been considering obtaining a vertical HF. Otherwise, I have been happy and successful with my EFHW antennas.

Thanks
73 Gokhan

2 Likes