Brecon Beacons MGx2

Another milestone reached or should it be target? Thanks to everyone that made my Fan Brycheiniog GW/SW-003 log and my Mountain Goat x 2 activation. 42 in my log with 3 s2s, 13 2m-fm, 7-60m, 17-40m, 5-20m. I set up initially in the cairn and worked 2m-fm then moved outside for HF as the summit was getting busy and people wanted to use the cairn. As usual my lightweight setup was the Elecraft KX2, 8 watts into my ‘hybrid’ EFHW in inverted V configuration on 6m Sotabeams Carbon Fibre pole. For 2m-fm I was using my Yaesu FT270 with home brew Slim Jim on 4m fibreglass pole. Due to sunspot activity and rapid qsb HF was not working well but it was a great day as Rhodri my son was keeping me company and to end the day we visited the site of the Vampire jet that had crashed on a training run in 1953 (1km South of Bwlch Giedd at SN826201)…I’ve been wanting to visit that for years so both targets accomplished before a big birthday next month :grinning:. Thanks everybody. 73 Allan GW4VPX.

Fan Brycheiniog…our summit for the day

Just over 2 miles to the summit.

Nearing Llyn y Fan Fawr

Climbing…Llyn y Fan Fawr below

Happy at qualifying the summit and Mountain Goat x2

Setup outside the cairn for HF

Cracking day

View towards the trig

Llyn y Fan Fawr below

Heading down to the crash site

The Vampire jet that we were visiting

Remnants of the jet laid out (no memorial)

18 Likes

Well done on the Double Goat, Allan. Looks as if you had a good day for it but I expect the wind was cold - it was in Ludlow.
Sorry not to be able to manage a QSO or S2S on this one.
Catch you again soon.
Rod

1 Like

Congratulations Allan, and what a lovely day!
Sorry I wasn’t around.
Vampire jets used to fly from a base near me when I was a child, I remember their distinctive sound…

73, Adrian

1 Like

Well done Allan and thanks for the contact.
Best 73

1 Like

Hi Allan

Congratulations and you do look very cozy in the shelter!

Nick G4OOE

Hi Allan, congratulations on MG number 2! I know you’ve been wanting to hit this milestone for some time! Well done, you certainly deserve it! I’m glad I managed to get in your log on three bands. Celebration time now!! :blush:

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

Congratulations on a fantastic achievement.

1 Like

Wow a very nice achievement Allan, still working on my first hi hi. Hope to see you soon

Paul
M0PLA

1 Like

Well done on the double goat Allan, see you on the triple?
Thanks for the write up and the pics, great day. 73 Don.

1 Like

Well done Allan, Great write up and pictures. Good to feel some mountain sunshine isn’t it.

How far is the MG-CW off completion? I know you have been practicing hard.

Good Stuff
David
G0EVV

1 Like

Well done Allan. Thanks for the summit to summit.

John

1 Like

Congratulatios amazing, thanks for the contact form Mt Nodol :+1:

1 Like

Well done on the 2X MG Allan. I’m pleased to see you had decent weather. I can remember Paul G4MD and myself operating from that shelter in awful conditions. Getting out of the car and kitted up at the parking spot was an effort in itself! :grinning:

73, Gerald

1 Like

Congratulations Allan, well done! Nice photos too.
Roger

1 Like

Congratulations Allan. Great achievement.
73, Robert

1 Like

Congratulations Allan - very well done!

Thank you for some enjoyable S2S contacts along the way.

73, John M0VCM

1 Like

Well done Allan and perfect weather for the occasion

1 Like