Breaking stuff, Losing stuff & Making stuff (and then forgetting stuff)

Awesome snowscapes, Fraser.

You had a very good signal at this end for 10 W SSB. Glad to be one of the few to catch your 10 m spot in time and overcome the wind noise to boot. The recently re-installed SpiderBeam with four elements on that band probably helped!

Matt

2 Likes

Dang, those are festive! Perhaps easier to find when dropped also. A nylon or rubber washer will go a long way toward keeping them on the radio.

2 Likes

Matt, You’re right there. I had 10w into 5m of lossy (at 28MHz) rg-174, an 88% efficient auto transformer and an EFHW which is two wavelengths long on that band.

So, I reckon about 6.5w radiated from a non ideal antenna. Gotta love 10m :grinning:

1 Like

Despite still having a long wooden handled ice axe in the cupboard, I usually choose to walk with trekking poles. It used to be just one but now I am a dedicated user of two (and only occasionally got them caught in the gaiter elastic…) When still only using 1 pole back in 2014 I descended Tal y Fan GW/NW-040 ( is it still known as the easiest 4 pointer in Wales?) and, on reaching the wall ladder onto the road I started up and then gently chucked my pole onto the grass on the verge beside the road. I was mildly surprised by a small tinkling sound on impact but was stunned when I picked up the pole and discovered that the pointed bit and about 8cm of stem was now hanging by a thread at right angles to the rest of the pole. I had no idea there was a weakness there and knew there had been only slight impact with a hidden stone. Only a cheap pole and I can’t remember the make. Some years (and birthdays!) later I decided I wanted to save weight and splurged on a pair of Fizzan compact ‘lightest in the world’ poles which I love. Looking at them, M0JLA prophesied that they wouldn’t even last one of our (gentle) Scottish trips but they have done 3 so far and the 4th starts in a month’s time so here’s hoping. They are occasionally difficult to adjust but getting them colder (or is it warmer - I can never remember!) seems to solve the problem. Long may they last - but i do realise that they only get fairly ‘gentle’ use with me and wouldn’t survive long on Fraser’s expeditions.
73 Viki

1 Like

That’s good to know. I’ve looked at lightweight alloy and carbon poles but always been afraid I’d break them.

1 Like

I bought a pair of these badged “Cotswold Outdoor Ultra Light” about 10 years ago, and I’ve been very happy with them. I Probably haven’t stressed them too much, but they always come with me and often get used as antenna supports…

2 Likes

Frazer I did exactly the same. The first activation with the KX2 I managed to loose one of thumb screws. I contacted the UK supplier at the time - Waters and Stanton I think it was - and they had some spares. I don’t recall them being expensive - and delivery was either free or reasonable.

Dave

2 Likes

The amazon thumb wheels arrived today. A pack of 5. Slightly larger than the elecraft ones, but a perfect fit.

elecraft one on the left

3 Likes

Now, if I were in your position, I’d have to order another one to enable the rig to have matching ones. :joy:

3 Likes

It does. I got a pack of 5.

4 Likes

…and apply some fluorescent pink paint so that you stand half a chance of finding the one you drop into the blooming heather…

2 Likes

Which will make them a lot easier to tighten and undo.
Rod

2 Likes