Boulsworth Hill, VHF Fun Day

In reply to M0RCP:

Actually fleece mittens would be even better but I’ve never seen them on sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camo-Gloves-Cordura-Fleece-Lined-Arctic-Mittens-Medium_W0QQitemZ350292037182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE?hash=item518f084e3e

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Thanks for the pointer, only thought of googling once I’d posted. I’ll pay a visit to my local biker shop next time I go past it. Might also follow up Andy’s suggestion.

Rick

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Paul I have changed the crock clips with the fuseholder bit from a
13amp plug

Hi Geoff

Nice idea, I’ll have a look at that!

Thanks and 73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G3NYY:

The root of the problem seem to be the nature of the centre conductor
of the coax.

Hi Walt

The main issue is the soldering - where the flexible stranded coax inner effectively becomes rigid and solid is very vulnerable to fatigue due to flexing. Crimping is a better solution, but difficult to implement effectively. I solder the inner conductor to the croc clip near the hinge, and crimp the “wings” of the clip as tightly as I can to the insulation to give some strain relief. I prefer to leave the joint open for ease of inspection.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Thanks, Paul. That’s noted. I’m sure you are right.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M0RCP:

Hi Rick

I use a pair of Berghaus Polartec gloves. Not waterproof, but incredibly warm even when soaking wet, and just about thin enough to allow operation of the '817. When high level of manual dexterity not required (although the “trigger finger” does facilitate some operations) I add a pair of Army Surplus “mittens outer arctic mk2”. Water/wind proof (Goretex) and keep my pinkies warm as toast. Found them very useful while excavating snow holes for shelter on the recent expedition!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to MM0FMF:
David and Geoff Passey have been using shooter’s mittens like you describe Andy on activations for some time. I wonder if one of them will say which brand they are? We were discussing gloves on the walk up to Carnedd Wen last month.

David

In reply to 2E0DAI:

David

These are apparently just the thing for the well-dressed CW activator:

Richard
G3CWI