Boots

I like my Scarpa’s also Rob, same boots used. Light and comfortable I agree. On my 3rd pair, but then I walk for leisure also, not just SOTA.

I have a heaver pair of Mammut / Rachie for the heavy pathless moorland stuff. Shoes are not for me, certainly not unless it’s summer, dry, and the route is well documented as good path / track.

All the best for your SOTA Tour in the English Lake District later this month, and I hope the GMDX Convention was a success again this year. I’ll point the beam to the G/LD when you are on 2m. I can work some of the better sited summits from North Yorkshire on the right day with a following wind.

73 de Phil

The scarpa ranger GTX are on my short list , just at the weekend i came across a wet boddy ditch , i found a stick and proded around to find the firmist part . I had to go through it so i leaped across as much as i could and had mud nearly to top of tounge on my cheapo karrimors and after a 12 mile walk i know why they only cost £40 ! If i had trainers would of had a muddy sludge in my shoes .

73Matt 2E0FGX

Hence you now know why gaiters exist.

1 Like

Yes , but that day i decided not to wear them… that was a mistake .

73Matt 2E0FGX

I flirted around with cheaper boots for a year or so until I got fed up getting wet feet so I bit the bullet and splashed out somewhat. The boots I bought were Berghaus ones from Go Outdoors here in Glasgow, and reduced to £100 sealed the deal.
Amazing boots, comfortable, light & and watertight. I’ll certainly not be buying cheap again.

Berghaus bought our Brasher a few years ago and rebranded their range. I would recommend the Berghaus gaiters for moorland work.

73 Phil

Having size 13 (Euro 48) plates limits my choice somewhat… Scarpas have done me well over the last few years, discontinued Mirages (still supremely comfortable, though the waterproofing is well past it’s sell-by date so still used for drier expeditions !) and the current ones are Mantas. A bit OTT for general use you might say but I love the rigidness of the soles - stepping on a sharp-edged rock and not feeling it gives me a real buzz :slight_smile:

The old all leather Mantas are now also discontinued, but with most of my activity in GM these days was wondering about the new Manta Pro GTXs for my next pair. Though the price is somewhat eye-watering :astonished:

73 de Paul G4MD

After over the last few weeks visiting a few shops i went back to go outdoors and tried on more boots, berghaus boots felt just ok , but very hard on the sole of your feet , north ridge pretty much the same , merils i found to be quite narrow fitting and keens seemed better but i settled for a pair of scarpa mistral GTX. Wore them around the house and garden yesterday for 4 hours , may as well be wearing slippers !

Matt 2E0FGX

Great Matt,

Glad that after 69 posts you got some boots - lightweight and suede with a Goretex lining - which you found comfortable. I hope they get put to some serious SOTA use in the coming weeks. I will be looking out for you!

73 Phil

Cheers , what may suit onr person will not suit another . Depending if i activate in the winter or not would get a hard wearing leather pair .

I should be out this weekend one day as there is andover radio rally

73 Matt 2E0FGX

Ha ha, that reminds me of when I tried out my crampons indoors. The carpet underlay has never been the same since! :grin:

2 Likes

Defently wouldn’t recomend that on laminate floor with the xyl if you want to survive !

Matt 2E0FGX

Very true. Some boots have laces that start above the toes or toe/foot joint. I find these incredibly uncomfortable as do some of my work colleagues who hill walk. I need to buy boots where the laces start much further back, it’s something I check for. I also have broad feet and having bought boots with sufficient space, I find my feet can submarine when descending. This is cure my careful insole selection and tying the laces to reduce the effect, i.e. the knot is not at the top of the ankle section.

I have ex mil boots. Almost brand new and built forever. Once you get your feet broken in then…well not there yet…

1 Like

Choosing a brand of boots for activations turned out to be a popular topic on the forum in April 2019. In addition to its utilitarian value, the theme of boots is sometimes reflected in other aspects of the creativity of radio amateurs. So my friend Vladimir R9WXK, who is a big fan of multi-day hiking in the mountains of the Southern Urals, posted a photo with his hiking boots on an QSL. This photo was taken while drying boots near a campfire in a halt. In addition to the shoes in the photo there is a bottle of local beer with the name “Velvet”, which corresponded to the taste of its contents!
As for me, for many years I have been an adherent of Lowa boots and low shoes, which are perfectly suited to the conditions of mountain taiga terrain in the Southern Urals.

6 Likes

Here are test results of the best of the best, recently updated, including an economy choice

Wanna add traction devices? They liked Icetrekkers Diamond, Hillsound Ultra, and Kahtoola Nano

Elliott, K6EL

1 Like

I have grisport leather boots. They are about 20 years old and have had light use up to my start of SOTA activity, 73 summits ago. Very comfortable and no blisters. I polish them after every activation and use a dab of Dales Dubbin too after polishing. No idea of the model, long worn off, but they were bought in a normal shoe shop and were not expensive.

I will buy another pair when these finally wear out.

2 Likes