Boot suggestions

I don’t know if the boot version goes high enough for you but… have a look at The North Face Hedgehog Mid Boot. It’s only a mid not high boot however.

I have 2 pairs of the shoe version. They were available as remaindered stock so cost £54 ($83) rather than the list price of £154 ($200). Mine are Goretex with a Vibram sole. Now they come with TNF’s own version of Goretex.

I bought a pair and they were wonderfully comfortable out of the box and did what they claim. They’re warm enough to wear in a Scottish winter but not to hot when worn in European summers. I was so impressed I bought another pair to have in ready. That was 2018/2019. I’ve not seen them in my size remaindered since then :frowning:

I have worn one pair for SOTA activations in France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Lichtenstein, not serious but assorted terrains. I also wear them for dog walking. I live on the edge of town so I have farm land, woods, countryside and tarmaced lanes to walk on. The current pair have seen heavy use since 2019 averaging about 350-400km a year. I would say they’ve survived 1500-1750km use. The Vibram sole is just about shot now, the lugs worn away. You can notice that walking on the roads is harder on your feet than before and there’s much less grip off-road. But the Goretex lining has not failed yet despite the repeated flexing and that is good in my view.

This for the shoe version but I’d expect the boot version to be the same. YMMV but the life they have would almost justify me to buy them at the full price! At £54 they have worked out as costing £13.50 ($17.55) a year which is a real bargain.

1 Like

Kent: do be aware that the two words “breathable” and “waterproof” are often at odds with each other when it comes to hiking boots. In my experience the newer so-called waterproof boots usually have some sort of Gore-Tex (or equivalent) liner. This liner really makes the boot less breathable and makes them very hot in the summer - and as you live in the Carolinas this could be an issue.

If you were to use quality full grain leather without the waterproof liner you would have a much more breathable, cooler, yet reasonably waterproof hiking boot for summer but you will have to spend almost twice the money as you would for a hiking boot made from synthetic materials.

1 Like

I really like my Oboz, but dislike that they cannot be resoled. I recently purchased a pair of Asolo boots (specifically because they can be resoled), but haven’t yet trail tested them. So far, so good, but time will tell.

73, Jim KK0U

Interesting. I have not had that problem in the two pairs I owned, but I see some complaints in the reviews on the REI product page. Thanks for the tip.

I have a different problem now that will force me to find something else. As I have aged, in the past 10-15 years my shoe size has increased. I’m told this is because one’s arches gradually flatten, the effect being to lengthen the foot. I’ve gone from US size 12 (UK 11, EU 46) to size 13 (UK 12, EU 47). Apparently it’s still progressing, because now my Salomon Quest size 13 are almost too short. Above size 12, most manufacturers don’t make half sizes. The Salomon Quest size 14 (UK 13, EU 48) is just too big.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggested brands for those of us with big feet?

Thanks & 73,
Scott WB8ICQ

1 Like

Haven’t used boots for decades. Unless carrying heavy backpack, suggest trail running shoes. I am happy with Salomon Speedcross latest version is 5, can be had in goretex (waterproof and breathable, but hot), good for 300-500 miles which is as much as going to get from “boots” before sole needs replacing which few do any more… 73 fred kt5x 900 SOTA peaks so far

2 Likes

Agree. Lots of studies have shown that lightweight trail running shoes let you go further, faster, higher than normal hiking boots because every extra gram of weight on your feet really affect your total energy output required to move. The disadvantages are less ankle support, less sole support in really rugged rocky terrain and usually less waterproofness. They also probably will not last as many kilometres. Decisions, decisions…!

2 Likes

I have been using a boot that I refer as a “high top trail runner” for a few years. Alittle ankle support over normal trial runners but don’t last any longer. I get almost 2 summers before I go shopping for new boots. I am just starting my procurement for when my current fail, which I expect to be around June / July -ish.

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like