Bloopers

Hello everyone,

The blooper on TV I like! In sota’s not as funny, but … I relate.

Thursday I’m going Sota in the frosty morning dew to the top of the F/AM-478 and F/AM-472.

Around 16 hours I finished the last qso and I pack up. one last look around , no I have nothing left, nothing forgotten.

A little later, I reach the 3,600 km of forest trail leading to the parking lot where I parked the car.
As I am a little late, I decided to run down the track . It shakes
just the contents of the backpack, but the ground is soft, and then jogging, I like it!

Some 30 minutes later, I put the key in the ignition and I start the Ford Fiesta.
I pass a sign: “Nice 53km,” Well, I’m in 1 hour to Nice (fine)!

Nice, 18:30
I’m on time, I’ll look at Vincent Conservatory.
I avoid the Carnival and the preparations for the fireworks tonight.
Back in QRA, around 19:30 I empty the backpack.
Hell and damnation! The super fleece jacket specially from China for me is not there!
It may be in the car and I’ll see. Nay!
Yet it was strapped to the backpack … it has dropped in the parking lot when I put the bag in
the trunk, so it’s probably here!
Telephone call:
Hello, Domi. I forgot something important Toudon, I make the round trip. I’m there in 2 hours.

Back to the start … here I am at the parking area. Sniff! no jacket.
I’m sure it was secured to the tree branch when I wanted to avoid this block
rock fell on the runway. It’s not far, I’m going.
I adjust the headlight, put on a jacket and go!
Nothing on the tree branch, so it slipped the bag while I was running, obviously.
Now that I’m here, I continue. And this jacket it is worth a fortune, it’s worth
Candlelight. I start walking at a brisk pace, it’s easy without the weight of the bag.
It is very dark in this forest, there are small bright eyes looking at me go, I must
disturb some birds that fly at night in a surprising sound of wings.
Hey I’m hungry! I have not eaten since the onion tart and pie chard, that was at the top of F/AM-472
Mont Brune which is right above me now … and still no jacket!
I leave the forest, tag 94, I’m at 1250m altitude! if I look south I can
see the fireworks. Too bad, it’s not yet time.
I accelerate seeing the fog come and it starts to get cold.
I’m almost at the end of the road, there is a last bend, and a hundred meters to arrive
down Mont Brune. Despite some scattered clouds i can see the stars and the low
light generated by Ms. Moon allows me to finally see a black mass covered by frost: "my jacket."
I do not dwell, for I must pick up Vincent and his baritone sax to 22.30!
I start to run again, this time I hold the jacket securely …
I get to the car, 9:20 p.m. … at 10:30 I get Vincent to Nice.

The moral of the story is that in all matter, it can reach summits!

73’s Gerald F6HBI

Here’s another of a different ilk:

On holiday in Llandudno last April, went to the top of Gt.Orme with a friend to see who I could work with my VX150 HT (5W)… I was newish to SOTA… Found a nice spot on a nice April day with few muggles. Worked stations in Anglesey and a nice one - Derek 2E0MIX in Workington. However! Never realised it was a SOTA summit and no contact mentioned it! Grrrr… This would have been my first activation! Still to do a first activation since… C’est la vie!

David G4TUP.

In reply to G4TUP:

On holiday in Llandudno last April, went to the top of Gt.Orme …
… Never realised it was a SOTA summit and no
contact mentioned it! Grrrr… This would have been my first
activation! Still to do a first activation since… C’est la vie!

Am I wrong in thinking this is a minor problem that can be easily alleviated?

Do we need to mention SOTA and the reference explicitly to make an activation valid? I believe we do not need to announce an activation. In David’s place I would probably have entered the contacts in the database anyway once I found out they were in accordance with SOTA rules. Maybe I would also have sent (new) QSL cards with with the summit information so that the recipients know they have worked a SOTA summit.

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to M0CEF:

Do we need to mention SOTA and the reference explicitly to make an activation
valid?

When in doubt read the rules.

General rules 3.8, 2
“The Chaser must make a QSO with the Summit Expedition, in which at least callsigns and two-way reports are exchanged.”

So no, you do not need to mention SOTA and the summit ref. The rules say such additional exchanges are desirable.

Andy
MM0FMF

David,

Get that activation logged on the Database!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Roger! Thanks for all the comments. Will have to work out first when we were away and which date! :slight_smile:

David G4TUP.

Thinking about it now I only worked three stations - two on Anglesey and Derek 2E0MIX in Workington. Don’t think this is enough to score as an activation? (needs four?)

David G4TUP.

In reply to G4TUP:

Even one is enough to record an activation, but you only qualify it and score with at least four.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to F6HBI:
Gerald,
I must admire your tenacity. Never never give in! With those qualities in such abundance you are a real SOTA activator! I enjoyed reading your story and I think it was well worth going back for the jacket. I once had to climb back down a 150m cliff to retrieve my Pentax ME camera. Unfortunately the tide had covered it by 3m but it still worked (after a fashion). Thanks & 73 John.