Blackpool Norbreck Rally 12th April 2015

See you all there at blackpool on the sota stand as i will be helping.
Also coming with Mum (2E1AEQ) and dad (G0DMV) to the rally and it is a shame Jimmy is not coming but work comes first.
cheers Edward 2E0NSR

2 Likes

Good to see so many of you at the rally and thanks for taking the time to pop across to the WAB stand, where I was stuck for most of the day. Good thing about that was that I only had time to spend £2.50 on cable ties!

2 Likes

Great rally, great to meet SOTA folk! Thanks for the chat folks.

2 Likes

Another (mostly) splendid Blackpool Norbreck Rally day.

First things first though:

THANK YOU to Rob G0HRT, my MT colleague, who volunteered to take over my responsibilities for setting up the stall in the morning. As I would only be getting back from EA8 at 0300 BST, I needed this support; there was no way I was going to be there much before 11am.

THANK YOU to Rob G4RQJ and XYL Audrey. Every year, without fail, SOTA’s original and favourite activating couple set up the stand, run the stand and feed us with Audrey’s delicious homemade sausage rolls and cakes. I know I’ve said it before, and I’m keen to say it again - you are invaluable to this event. Apologies for the shaky photo; hopefully someone will put forward a better one I can replace it with!

THANK YOU to MT colleague Andy MM0FMF and Brian G4ZRP, who also put in long shifts on the stand, chatting with visitors and answering questions. They weren’t the only ones of course; Geoff G6MZX and Phil G4OBK also volunteered to help out, and no doubt others too that I have not just recalled as I type this.

THANK YOU to all the SOTA regulars old and new that visited the stand. It was a pleasure to see you all, and thank you for your continuing support.

THANK YOU to another MT colleague Barry GM4TOE for organising and dispatching the SOTA merchandise for the stand. We took over £190 from sales, and as usual there were several “Keep the change for SOTA running expenses” type donations. This will be ploughed back into running the SOTAwatch and Database websites, and hosting fees. It is this enthusiastic and generous support for the SOTA programme, plus the hard work and giving up of time by SOTA MT that keeps the superb SOTA internet facilities free for us all.

THANK YOU to SOTAbeams and its proprietor Richard G3CWI for sponsoring the SOTA stand as it does each and every year. A fine and appreciated gesture, as ever.

Well, I said it was a “mostly” splendid day. That’s because my car snapped a spring just as I was arriving in Blackpool. I managed to gently nurse the vehicle to the hotel, so could get on with the rally, but hardly got half a mile into the journey home before I decided to call recovery. So there was no activation of Billinge Hill G/SP-017 on the way home this year! On the positive side, I was informed of a 90 minute wait before the mechanic could get to me. This meant I had no option but to go into the pub that I was stranded outside for a pint, a carvery meal and watch the Manchester derby on the big screen. Such is life eh?

Perhaps the highlight of the day for me was Jimmy M0HGY’s good friend Edward 2E0NSR winning the construction trophy at the rally for his “Shack in a box” project. Absolutely brilliant achievement Ed, and I’m really looking forward to joining you on an activation when you use it!

4 Likes

Congratulations to Ed on this achievement; Well Done.

Rod

3 Likes

This one any better Tom ?,
A most enjoyable rally as always, full marks to everyone involved.

Cheers, Derek

Great picture Derek - thanks! I’ll leave both photos where they are in fact. Yours captures the shiny new banner really well!

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I’ve posted a very brief report of my visit to the Norbreck Rally. http://gw4vpx.blogspot.co.uk

It was pleasure to meet up with everyone involved in SOTA once again including some new faces for me this year although the voices were very familiar :smile:

Thanks also to Dave G4IAR and the guys on the WAB stand for the welcome and lengthy chats :smile:

73 Allan GW4VPX

1 Like