Black Hill G/SP-002 alternative route?

Hi all,

Has anyone gone up from Grid ref SE050063 Holme Clough park spot area on the A635?

This looks longer but less incline which may be OK for me at present??

Just wondering what the lay of land is like up this way??

anyone help??

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

My report on the summit page gives guidance.

http://www.sotawatch.org/article.php?summit=G/SP-002&id=602

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Using 't computer the numbers for following the red path on the 1:50000 OS map come out as:

Length: 3.2km
Height ascended: 103m
Height descend: 15m

So it’s trivial if you’re not injured in any way.

However, if it’s like the rest of the ground around there then it’s probably a horrible bog and you should take your bog snorkelling gear with you. Well at least flippers. I know it’s been very dry this year but it’s rained a bit in the last few days and that flat ground is what I’d avoid after such rain.

Now, I’m not trying to be clever Tony but you’ve mentioned your doctor has told you to lay off the hills. Unless you think you have better medical knowledge than him, do you not think following his advice may be a good idea? Especially as the hills will be there when you’re better, as will all the chasers.

I’ve been banned from the hills by my doctor twice since I started SOTAing and it’s annoying when you can’t get out. But having done what he said my injuries cleared up just like he said they would.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0LAE:

I go via SE096036, nice walk.

Best in winter after good frosty week or dry summer

Usually go along the flagstones from Wessenden - very straightforward.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies:

In answer to Richard,sorry should have read more,told you I was impatient.

In answer to Andy, yes GP says my Osteo Arthritis will benefit from small summits with easy walks in, hence I have had to stop anything above 2 points until my Plantar facitis has been repaired. he does not want me doing any heavy going walks. Thanks for your reply as it does bring me down to earth!! thats why I was looking at Black Hill from this approach!

I will be reducing my activities a lot from now on, and as you say once I’m repaired I will be back!!!

Thanks for all the support from fellow activators and Chasers

2E0LAE will just be resting for a while!

Best 73

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

I have had to stop anything
above 2 points until my Plantar facitis has been repaired.

I would be wary about equating points to difficulty. There is only a very weak correlation. There are some extremely awkward 1 and 2 pointers.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

And a train up GW/NW-001 followed by steps to the summit for an easy ten points!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard, Im sorry to tell you but all this is your fault,being one of the original SOTA setup people, just look at what you have done!! Hi Hi

You now have a group of once sane people who now have an addiction to fresh air,wet weather, carrying fishing poles up hills and tiring walks Hi Hi

I know what you mean, on the one hand you have 1 point Moel Gyw and the other hand 1 point Billinge Hill!! Although I dont ever envisage myself returning to Billinge,it has to be the easiest 1 pointer!

Thanks for you kind comments and support to date

Best 73

Tony

Tony,

Moel Gyw is still one of the more straightforward and gentle of the 1-point SOTA summits. Wait 'til you get acquainted with Dufton Pike, Lingmoor Fell, Kisdon and Ailsa Craig! And there would still be many in Scotland in a league of difficulty above those.

Right, SOTA time, here we go…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

Yes I know there will be really bad 1 pointers and real easy 4, I can only go by the summits I have in the 100 or so KM from Home that I have done.

With fuel costs the way they are I think a few of us are looking to stay close to home at present,unless its a Holiday/SOTA Combination such as the IOM earlier this month.

Good Luck over next few weeks in The Southern Regions!! I dont think I will be able to get Jimmy & yourself on any of them,but I see you will be trying 6m ssb which is probably the only time I may work you?

Best 73

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Has anyone gone up from Grid ref SE050063 Holme Clough park spot area on the A635?

We were on the summit of Black Hill last year using Richards G3CWI excellent satnav instructions and parked on the A635. We were called by another activator looking for the summit. He had come in from Holme Clough parking spot and had already spent about three quarters of an hour looking. From his description of where he was we were able to give him a rough indication of where to head for. Eventually after another half hour this figure appeared coming out of the peat bog coverd in mud almost up to the waist and making a loud squelching noise. So for me the answer is clear. Dont come in that way.

And dont talk to me about arthritis, mine has just ruined what would have been a successfull SOTA visit to LD land - will post something when I got over the disappointment.

Finally Tony it was nice to work when you were in GD land all be it only once. Did listen for you on the other days but heard nothing.

Peter

In reply to G1FOA:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice, just looking for alternative routes,glad I got feedback from you and others, when I do get back into activating I will go same way I went last year up this one on Pennine Way route

Good to work you from GD and yes always a shame when Health affects activities.

Good luck next time in LD !!

Best 73

Tony