Black Hill Activation 18/07/20 First Ever Sota M6UUH/P

Sorry to hear that Simon… I answered everyone I heard. Perhaps you doubled with another chaser.

More likely that G/SP-002 is a rotter of a summit for VHF.

If it is such a bad site why was it the primary choice by the BBC for the first TV/FM transmission site for the North of England ?

It’s just a hunch, but I think it might have something to do with the difference between a 4m mast and a 228m mast.

2 Likes

G/SP-002 is one of the few summits I failed to get a 70MHz (4m) QSO. I could be heard by chasers but I did not receive anything. 2m worked OK. I guessed it was the receiver being swamped by RF so one day I will return with a 4m bandpass filter. I thought there should be enough separation from the TV mast but perhaps not.

BTW my 1974 OS map shows the Pennine Way along the ridge, the stepping stones were an alternative. When I activated it there was no evidence of the route along the ridge so it was a socially distanced walk to the summit. I returned via the stepping stones,

The line of the old Pennine Way to the summit is a dreadful approach. Never again.

A 4m mast being wiggled around and slowly reduced in height by my helpful wife as well…! :slight_smile:

Hi Iain.

Thank you very much for sharing your first activation.
I am just researching SOTA / portable ops myself, so reading your experiences was very imformative, along with the expert replies you have received too.

I too have an F857D, along with an Anytone 878 handie. I am just researching batteries and poles and quite close to ordering the bits I need.

I hope to maybe work you soon.
Thanks again,

Ian M0AAP

2 Likes