Beta firmware of KX2 for more battery time at 10W

Yes Gavin, we’ll soon see how well that estimate holds up.

I’m most curious how the charge status LED will be realized (Now we’re making changes the way the charge status LED works to make it more intuitive).

Certainly the display will not have to be in Morse code, as is the case with the info message of the T1, hi.
Rather, the question is how they will use the KX2’s 4 different colored LEDs (red, yellow, green, green) for intuitive status indication. Wait and see…

1 Like

Yes, I simply hook them up to my bench power supply set to 12.6 V and 0.5 C current limit (or more if I’m impatient :wink:), and wait for the current to drop below a few hundred mA.

2 Likes

As well as my homebrew battery, I also have a commercial one which has an inbuilt BMS. I made a charger from one of these:

I run it from a bench supply, or charge if from the Land Rover battery.

3 Likes

EDIT from April 1, 2022
From today’s point of view (…) the display of the charge status by means of the 4 colored LEDs seems to be outdated. :joy:

A bit more Elecraft-like would be a nice graphical charge level indicator in the VFO B area (e.g. a slowly filling bar) in addition to or alternating with the numeric value. Either way, you can look forward to a user-friendly solution.

I have the update from 1.April and with me is the display in percent

grafik

73 Armin

2 Likes

I got to try out the new firmware in the field yesterday. I took the bike out to the Kömmelgupf (OE/KT-366), which is a handy drive-on summit just over the county line in Kärnten:

On the way back, I parked at the Rotweinkapelle and activated the Hadernnigkogel (OE/ST-369). I turned the power down to 8W in the morning, as my battery is getting old and I wanted to see how the voltage dropped. I needn’t have bothered, I finished both activations with the battery at around 11V. With the 3500mAh Ansmann battery, it will easily last a whole day activating 3 summits or more. That’s another 250g out of my pack.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

2 Likes

Or in my case, cut out eating the homemade cookies for a week.

1 Like

My new Ansmann battery arrived in the blink of an eye. I was just getting ready to swap over the barrel connector from the stock LiPo and got quite a shock when I looked at the wiring:

I decided to cut off the top wrapper and remove both wires from the BMS board to be absolutely safe. I may reuse the BMS at a later date. If you are a KX2 owner, it might be worth checking your leads carefully and replacing them (at the BMS board) with more flexible silicone wires, as used in RC electronics.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

4 Likes