Best time for mid-week 2m FM activations?

Unless in somewhere with a very low population (or high hills) eg some parts of Northern Ireland and Scotland (especially the Outer Hebrides) I use only 2m fm and 70cm and hope that eventually some callers will reply. I don’t use the word ‘chaser’ as the majority of my contacts in most locations do NOT collect SOTA points and many do not know/care what SOTA actually is. Hence I play down the SOTA part of the CQ call and emphasise that ANY reply is very welcome. If, after a lot of calling, I have had no replies or am desparately waiting for the 4th then I mention that in my call and someone in the silent 10 - 50+ (a guess!) people who can hear me will pick up the mike and reply - if only to shut me up!

I am using a Yaesu VX7R with maximum 5w AND (this is the important bit) an overflow water pipe dipole (2m/70cm) which is as high as I can get it (2m+) without having to fight with
a fishing pole. When on a high hill or for many S2S (thanks everyone!) a stick aerial will do but it is no use for getting through to housebound amateurs in rural areas. My tactics are to call on 2m, hopefully get a few contacts and then invite them to join me on 70cm (which is a far bigger challenge as many callers don’t have 70cm/ don’t know how to use it/can’t be bothered - all of which are valid excuses!) Just sometimes I pick up extra people on 70cm and they can QSY back to 2m and give me the extra 2m contact I need!!

What time? - NOT Sunday lunch-time from about 1230 to 1530 BST Generally morning better than afternoon if you are looking for chasers as they expect activators to operate in the morning. I agree it has been easier to get contacts recently as so many more people are working from home - but I notice some have recently disappeared so the office has call them away. Afternoon can be variable/poor with a slight improvement when waiting for children to come out of school or driving home after work. 1730 to 1900 can be dead and evening can be either better or worse.

Tips - if stuck then look through the frequencies and see if there is any traffic. If so listen in and if it seems to a conversation that might not mind being interrupted then try to get in at a suitable moment (using either your call sign or ‘Break’ but I don’t want to start that controversy…) Sometimes they won’t hear you or will ignore you and to others you will be a welcome relief in a boring chat and, with luck, you’ll get 2 contacts or sometimes all 4!!

Otherwise go into a repeater and call around and ask anyone who replies whether they can reach you simplex and this sometimes works. Haven’t had to use this for some years I now realise but you do need the repeaters and their info already in your radio.

I forgot to mention that you can spot yourself IF there is a suitable signal and you have the right kit (which I don’t) however if M0JLA is also operating and has been spotted that some astute people may guess that I am also there… However this method only works for chasers and, as you gathered, you will need ‘real’ people as well in a remote area or at an unusual time

The last tip - I hesitate to mention this… but a female voice may help!! I’m still not sure if it is because it carries better (a popular theory) or the hearer is so surprised that a female is on the radio or is stupid enough to go up a hill (especiallly in grotty weather) and be pleading for a contact that they will reply out of sheer curiosity!

Whatever tactic you employ, if the caller enjoys the contact with you (remember he is probably not collecting the points) then there is more chance that he will pick up the mike next time you come though his headphones.

Good luck and I look forward to a S2s
Viki M6BWA

7 Likes

Somewhere buried in my logbooks is a highly-prized 2m SSB contact with a GM via aurora. I had a 5el yagi and a barefoot FT817, but he was a stonking signal so I chanced my arm and he came back to me! I also made an Ar contact into GM on 6m with the 817 and a long wire antenna, but that was more marginal despite the better audio quality of Ar SSB signals on 6m, on 2m they are like very hoarse whispers! A few hundred km plus the distance to the aurora, if you hear it, go for it!

1 Like

Your 705 should be able to do 60m. It doesn’t have this option on the screen you select bands from but if you select 40m or 80m and then just spin the tuning knob to 5MHz it should transmit - mine does, I’ve just tested it. The radio doesn’t normally allow you to transmit outside each band but it should allow 60m. If it doesn’t check you have the latest firmware. :slight_smile:

Interesting point about the antenna - if you raise a 2m 1/2 wave vertical to about 5-6m it works way better than low down, as you get a lobe approaching the horizontal (say 5 degrees) that is around 5-6 dBi
I’ve only just started SOTA but with this setup and 25W from a small mobile rig I’m getting better results that I expected on 2m. Now looking forward to a fun summer of SOTA !

I’ve often wondered how many contacts are actually chasers.

Specifically on VHF, I think you are right. Especially around the southern regions of the country.

I have noticed that further north (the South Pennines & the Lake District is where I noticed this) you do seem to get a few people saying “thank you for the summit” or “thanks for the points”, so I suspect a higher percentage of contacts actually are chasers in those regions.

Once you move onto HF, that’s a whole different ball game. I suspect that virtually all of them are chasers.

I didn’t know that. It wasn’t showing on the band select page so I just assumed that the radio would think it was out of band & not let me transmit.

I only bought it about two weeks ago and the first thing I did was update the firmware. Unless they’ve released another firmware update in the last week or so it should already have the latest firmware installed. I’ll have a look later.

Thanks.

1 Like

I really like SSB on VHF - nostalgia I suppose. Apart from special events and some ad hoc QSOs with like-minded locals I find it’s gone the way of the wind following the end of the Morse test requirement and the Big Migration to HF. Have given up alerting for 2m-SSB and carrying The Brick (FT817).

Dusting off the 817 and doing some CW with the 2m Yagi this morning was a welcome change.

1 Like