Be attentive Europe, we do copy your 5 watts SSB i

Just a quick note to make you aware that many of us in NA do copy 5 watts SSB sigs from activators in Europe and despite many calls, activators do not seem do pay attention to us.

If I do copy 5 watts portable on my Moxon, my 100 watts should do the job to chase Eu.

Please stay attentive, depending the time of day, Eu chasers will be 100 times louder then us but we are there, all over North america now.

Thanks in advance and hope for FB thrills!

JP VA2SG

In reply to VA2SG:

I think that if you were to come over here and activate on one of the DX bands, you would be horrified at the wall of QRM that you have to sort through to gain contacts! The pile-up itself, tuners, whistlers, tail-enders, ooh-ahs, funny noises, music, alligators - its enough to make a faint-hearted activator turn tail and qualify his summit on 2m FM! I would suggest that you might have more success if you wait until the activator has worked through his pile-up and then call, but of course, that carries the risk that his batteries might run out of spare electrons! You can be sure that any activator will be very keen to work across the pond if the wall will let him.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
I am sure your are right. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that QRP SSB can go across the pond.

73!

I am sure your are right. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that QRP
SSB can go across the pond.

…and QRP CW does so even more reliably. I am called regularly on my 20m SOTA activations by VE2JCW and N4EX.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to VA2SG:

Just a quick note to make you aware that many of us in NA do copy 5
watts SSB sigs from activators in Europe and despite many calls,
activators do not seem do pay attention to us.

While SOTA is kind of civilised, WFF activating offers more challenges.

I make a point of calling “outside Europe only” periodically, and can commend the practice to other activators.

I dont’t think I’ve got you in my log yet, JP, but I’m sure there will be a first time…

Andrew
M6ADB

In reply to VA2SG:

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that QRP
SSB can go across the pond.
I will certainly listen carefully for you on my next activations.

72/73! Mads, la1tpa

btw: is there any prefeered SOTA qrg for 20m cw? Due to the warm temperatures in the alpes at the mom I try to finish my mountain hikes as early as possible. Maybe too early for 20m across the pond…

30m is the band of my coice at the moment, not that crowded and you don’t have to take care for contest times.

73, Juergen "Jo"
dj3cq

In reply to DJ3CQ:

Hello Jo

SOTA spots used on the 20m band for CW are within a couple of KHz of the QRP freq of 14060 KHz. 14058 is the most popular, or 14061 KHz

Hope to hear you again soon

73 Roy G4SSH

In reply to VA2SG:
recently I had a QSO with you from HB/ZH-015 on 20m (CW); it was my first overseas-contact from that location. I used only 2Watts (ATS-4, supplied with 9V) and a 7m end fed wire). I 'll try to be more activ on the upper bands!
Jean-Pierre, mci bcp pr ce QSO!
HB9BAB / Jürg