BBC1 Countryfile 6pm Sunday (Part 1)

We could have a laminated QR code with us, and allow interested parties to scan that if they wish, point to a pdf or better yet, a well produced YT video, “Introduction to SOTA”

1 Like

I’m sad to say that over 75% of the recent people who have asked me what I am doing do not know of radio as a hobby. They (often in late 40s early 50s) have no understanding and have never heard of radio hams/amateur radio/ham radio. Many have never heard of CB.

People come over when they hear Morse but less often when they hear speech. Being able to get a 13cms signal 100s of km is more fascinating to them when you say it’s the same frequency as Wifi and ask them if they can fill their house with Wifi never mind get it to go 100km.

2 Likes

I’ve met very few who have any idea what amateur radio is. Those that claim to know think it is just receiving signals from aircraft. However, once I tell them I have contacted people on summits around Europe they do seem to be genuinely impressed. “Cool” was the last response.

3 Likes

I’ve read it and I think it’s too detailed for the vast majority of walkers who will never read it. But hand it to any busy-body estate worker to show you’re not up to no good.

I regularly get asked what I’m up to do and I prefer to give a brief upbeat sentence as an answer. Most are very impressed. If they ask a supplementary question, great, but make it short. Tell tale signs of information overload are eyes glazing over and backing away slowly.

2 Likes

Your wife too Andy? :wink:

I agree, the initial response is generally best kept brief. I can always add more information if they show interest. A QR code leading to online info might be an idea these days.

1 Like

We have discussed the use of QR codes in this thread

My example codes are here

I prepared them in English and Spanish for my trip to EA5 last year … only problem, we didn’t meet anybody on the three summits we activated, what a bummer :unamused:
Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

Very insightful. In her case the reaction is often more extreme becoming so soporific her head drops into her breakfast bowl of cereal.

4 Likes

Andy
My wife does that if I mention anything about SOTA or Amateur radio.

In fairness she’ll tolerate a full sentence before nodding off :joy:

Dave

3 Likes

For those who can’t access iPlayer if you search YouTube you will find that “Kingsize Music” and “Digitalmediafan” have both posted an extract of the AR part of the show.
(Previous URL link removed in case there is a copyright question).
Search YouTube on “Flat Holm SOTA”.

3 Likes

Spot on - Hahahahaha

2 Likes

@G3CWI I’ve just sat down and watched your video :rofl: say no more Richard, absolutely perfect :+1:

4 Likes

When not doing SOTA, I’ve been going out more regularly here in Somerset to seek out & test various local high spots for future 144 UKAC or Backpacker’s contests. Oddly enough, on the last couple of occasions, I’ve been approached by ex-military (RAF) who are very interested to learn that use of VHF/HF is still going strong and then go on to applaud us that keep it alive.

@Tom: Thanks for organising the Countryfile SOTA event and congrats to you, Ben, Gillian & Fraser for making it into the final cut. Despite the frequent light showers (& the long wait), I enjoyed the afternoon and the QSOs on 2m FM with my nearby Ops.

73, Lea M0XPO

2 Likes

We were the lucky ones Lea. It was essential to have more activators out both for backup for the possible radio contacts to Flat Holm, and for the selection of video footage. Therefore yourself, Kevin (who’s outtake made it in right at the end), Simon TJC and Simon TTE deserve the same appreciation as those you mention. You made it happen - thank you.

8 Likes

I was thinking last month when I was at Wendover Woods, Forestry England has several buildings there which are rented out for cafe and shop, info centre, GO Ape and so on, it would be good if there was a SOTA sign on one of the buildings and an information board about SOTA and Amateur Radio

1 Like

I went to do an F&F activation and also to pop into the RSARS net on 40M whilst at Normandy Wood which is part of the National Forest yesterday as it was the anniversary of D-Day, there is a memorial there for the Normandy Veterans Association. the RBL was holding a wreath-laying ceremony which I hadn’t expected, despite telling them what I was doing, they still seemed to think I was from a local community radio station doing a live report!

1 Like

I know RSARS and 40m but is there a glossary for the other abbreviations?

F&F or FF Flora and Fauna, RBL Royal British Legion

1 Like

TNX

Richard,

all those videos you made in the woods setting up antennas were training and preparation for this masterpiece of satire. LOL

73 Andrew VK1DA/2DA

2 Likes

I somehow managed to view the segment but not via the BBC link, it says I’m a foreigner, which I am, and refuses to let me view it. (despite the fact that we just had some kind of celebration honouring the Queen of England, there must be a connection there somewhere… her image is still on our coins and notes)

I enjoyed the segment, well done in view of the many difficulties faced when trying to convey any slightly technical subject to the great masses on a typical Television program. You never know what important details the producer will edit out due to being unimportant or not newsworthy.

As for the passerby being impressed by a contact into Europe, imagine how they react when I tell them I’m expecting to have contacts into Europe from Australia. The reactions range from positive at the high end (impressed and asking questions) to disbelief at the low end (walking away muttering “what a nutter”).

73 Andrew VK1DA/2DA

3 Likes