Batteries for FT-817

In reply to G3CWI:
Thanks for the advice, Richard
These little miracles do come with difficulties. My new intelligent battery charger did its first job - a balancing charge cycle [rather than an all out charge] on my 4Ah Hong Kong LiPo then refused to charge the two new LiPo’s. Break Down it squawked or failed connection if it got a few seconds into the charge cycle. The £5 “Mystery” brand balanced charger, complete with flame decals, got on with charging each of these batteries in turn drawing 1 amp peak as shown on my AVO meter which I left in the circuit to see what was happening. The little £3 battery meters off Ebay are very good and I use one of these to check progress a lot.

I have written to the shop Giant Cod RC in Cornwall already. They answered my earlier question on current charging settings on the same day in detail so am hopeful for a further reply and advice on whether the charger needs to be returned.
Nonetheless I have three batteries for my forthcoming trip to the Preseli mountains and Rhos Ymryson.

David M0YDH

In reply to G3CWI:

You can get those discharge limiters for RC models. They sit between the load and battery and when the voltage drops below a certain limit they disconnect the load. Stops over discharging. The cost from Far East suppliers is normally less than the cost of the parts.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
Hi Richard I have had this problem and charger says voltage to low.rightly or wrongly i have connected the battery in parallel with an identical fully charged battery with a pot in line then slowly turned up the pot enough to raise the voltage to enable it to accept a charge.atb Geoff