BaMaKey TP-III Morse Paddle

It looks great! This is going to be my next purchase but I have to wait awhile I’ve spent a bit to much on paddles in the last while haha.

73 De VE6JTW, Jesse

2 Likes

Any change you want to sell your Pico?:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sorry Tonnie not for sale, you always need a spare or a few spares😀

6 Likes

I am a rookie on cw mode…I like this key…i have it on my shack

1 Like

My first field test of this little beauty. Would recommend. The sweets that came with it are a good addition !

12 Likes

If that was on EI/IE-001 today, then we had a red TP-III to red TP-III QSO :grinning:

I’ve been struggling to teach myself to use a paddle after a long break from amateur radio, but very happy with the TP-III. It’s much better than the 3d printed key I was trying to use. The sweets didn’t last long though!

73, Jonathan

4 Likes

It was indeed. Good to get you on 40m.

2 Likes

I missed you on 40m as I was using a 20m dipole and when you tried that band you probably went over my head, so to speak. But perhaps it was better not to lower the CW tone with my cheapo 3D printed model!

More seriously it would be nice to try a magnetic key like that. I’ll have to write to Santa…

2 Likes

Gents,
Has anyone found a suitable metal base for this little key? Especially with possibility to order in EU.
American Morse Equipment sells nice base, but delivery to EU is 66 euros :frowning:

Cheers,
Victor, PA8MM

Hi Victor,

The TPIII is magnetic and will stick on any metal sheet. I attached one on my writing board so that I can turn and move the key as I wish.

Bamatech is selling a plate that you can attach around your knee.

/- Jmm

1 Like

Hello Victor, welcome to the forum!

I’ve been experimenting with different ways of mounting the key and have settled on using cheaply available on eBay & elsewhere stainless steel 75mm discs. They are available in either 0.9 or 1.2mm thickness and, most importantly, you must buy only grade 430 stainless steel if you want the magnets to stick!

I have 3d printed a leg mount:

IMG_1077

and also glued one to a cut down clip board:

IMG_1081

I also use one with stick-on rubber feet in the shack, but its not heavy enough to key with just one hand - I need to find something heavier to stick one to.

As long as you buy 430 grade (‘ferritic’) stainless steel the key sticks to it really well!

73 Jonathan

6 Likes

Jmm, Jonathan,

Thanks for your replies.
I forgot to mention that I’m looking for a metal base specifically for a shack use. I know this key will stick to any magnetic piece of metal, but I’m having hard time finding it :slight_smile: I think for a comfortable use it should be 500-1000g

Cheers,
Victor

1 Like

This is available on the UK Amazon site but you may find something similar where you are:

1 Like

When not in use on SOTA activity, I have mine attached to the underside of the rig. I have a small metal plate held on by a case screw and the paddle attaches to that. The plate was necessary to provide a fully flat surface to stick to. The key wobbled a bit on just the case alone. Don’t forget to reverse the polarity on the menu .

6 Likes

In the meantime, I have experienced two times that some snow has come on the key. This became problematic because the contacts are very open… the key then continuously sends dots or dashes… or both in alternation
Blowing out helped briefly… but I was glad that I still had the Palm as a reserve…

73 Armin

4 Likes

Hi Armin,

Same me - I written in another topic that BaMaTech Paddle does not like to cold - on first stage paddles are getting cold, on second stage low temperature brings same effect as snow: paddle start to send dashes itself.
In such situation Palm Pico is helpful (mainly made of plastic).

Another that I found in low temperature fingers must be very sensitive, if pushing onto paddles is to strong (sometimes it is caused by frozen hand) paddle may send something additional itself.

Despite on the above I am happy with this paddle.

I have red one:

and my favorite way to use it is as below:

I keep the paddle in my hand, another hand is working and logging.

73, Jarek

4 Likes

I do it the same way!

73 Armin

3 Likes

I can vouch for that, on an extremely windy and very cold GI/AH-001 yesterday at times I was struggling to get all the ducks in a row. My fingers were so cold and with absolutely no cover from the biting wind, at times it wasn’t easy to stop my fingers trembling or shivering, anyway I managed to work 22 stations in 15 minutes before the cold and wind won the battle and I went QRT and quickly packed up.

73 Victor GI4ONL

6 Likes

Maybe a gift idea for Christmas…

The indicated price for countries of the European Union includes 19% VAT.

73, Heinz

3 Likes

… and what a nice gift. My Morse skills improve a lot with this tiny mechanical marvel.
73 Chris

3 Likes