Backpack weight?

Roll? Roll! Luxury, according to popular beat musician, Sheryl Crow (or as Mrs. FMF calls her “that bottle-blonde skinny tart” :smiley: ), you only need a max of 3 sheets per visit. There’s room to save weight there.

1 Like

Maybe a whole roll is just too valuable to leave at home :wink:

3 Likes

Rolls, sheets ??? what luxury. I always remember the lessons of my old mountaineering elmer of years long gone on the qualities of the varied mosses found on the mountainside for the fundemental purpose :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Dec
ei6fr

Our freezer is still stuffed with toilet rolls and dried pasta that we panic-bought at the start of the crisis. :slight_smile:

Only thing(s) which are still in sort-of short supply are

• flour
  • Greek yoghurt
  • Penne, Farfalle, Fusilli (but Spaghetti and Tagliatelle(*) available normally)

My supermarket had paper bags they use for fresh cakes filled with a kilo of flour and inkjet printed labels. They must have been bagging up domestic sizes from catering sized supplies. Most stuff is available but not maybe the brand or size you want so compromise is the order of the day.

(*) Mrs. FMF says that Tagliatelle reminds her of tape worms so it’s not preferred here!

A liberal helping of brown sauce should help make them palatable

1 Like

You must eat some fairly spectacular curries in the FMF household :wink:

2 Likes

You don’t want all that panic bought loo-roll going off do you? So obviously you store in the freezer.

1 Like

Frozen loo roll? Sounds worse than izal

1 Like

Hello Ignacio.

I have a few of these zip bags. I have to try that. So far I’ve always had Tupper Ware for my equipment. Sometimes it takes up a lot of space. So thanks for the idea.

73 de Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

I like the idea of using plastic bags for some of the gear in my pack. but for the radio itself I think the protection of a plastic box is worth having. Otherwise the weight of the cables, keyer paddles, headphones, antenna wire, snacks etc is bearing down directly on the screen of the radio and the front panel controls, which is undesirable. Unless the radio is the last thing to go into the pack. for most of the small accessories (wifi hotspot, spare battery for phone/hotspot/tablet, small tools, spare connectors and adaptors) the size of the box prevents me from adding more and more junk due to the “just in case” problem!

Ignacio @EA2BD showed me how he winds up cables in a non-tangling way, and also a neat way to attach antennas to the top of a pole, without needing complex and heavy fittings. I didn’t remember how to do that little knot, Ignacio so please share that special method with us. The methods I’ve tried from memory simply allow the cord to slip down the pole.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

2 Likes

Apparently, it’s an ‘urban legend’ that degradation can be harmful. I’ve listened to a science podcast and read articles [example below] that chemical leaching from single-use plastic bottles is way below EPA limits. Washing them out with warm soapy water from time to time removes most of the bacteria.

I use cycling bottles, which are made of hard plastic and weigh only a bit more than the single-use ones. I’m a bit lazy so I usually wait until I see black mold at the bottom before I get round to cleaning it.

73 Andy

2 Likes

Drying bottles out after each use stops any bacteria growing in them. I find than as time goes on, and the bottle gets older, my stomach feels a little odd after drinking out of an old bottle. Nothing really dangerous, just a sign that it’s time to change the bottle. I’ve found you can disinfect the bottle a few times, but nothing really stops this gradual degradation; which is why I re-use old mineral water bottles where possible and only take my Platypus when trekking.
Matt

1 Like

I still use old Sigg style aluminium bottles. I’ve got 500ml, 700ml and 1L sizes. Once every so often I stand a partially filled bottle in a pan and boil the water. The water in the bottle boils and the steam escapes and hopefully, it kills the nasty wee beasties. Something you can do with aluminium but not plastic.

2 Likes

I often put some kettle-boiled water at the bottom of my hard-plastic cycling bottles with no deformation or other apparent ill effects.

I too like the look and feel of the Sigg type bottles. Despite being heavier than plastic bottles they seem to keep cold water cooler for longer - maybe the ceramic lining.

1 Like

I’m another 1 for Sigg bottles for the summer. Wide mouthed Nalgene in the cold months. Rinse with hot soapy water and let dry between uses.

Malen
VE6VID

Experts advise against reusing plastic bottles is due to plastic itself releasing substances or plastic components, which I’m not able to describe now. These substances are harmful to our organism and that’s why they recomend using plastic bottles only once.
I also have been taking an aluminum bottle with me, but I remember falling one day backwards and my rucksack impacted against a rock. The aluminum bottle I was carrying in the external pocket of my rucksack received most of the impact and got badly bent and deformed. It’s total capacity is now clearly reduced.
imagen imagen
I’d like to find a way to connect a high pressure air hose into this bottle to see if it’s possible to deform it from the inside back to its original shape and volume.

Guru

If you can find a high pressure water pump that would be a lot safer. High pressure air in a deformed metal bottle is a bomb waiting to happen :frowning:
Boiler testing is done with hydrostatic pressure; if it splits there is just a little spurt of water (incompressible fluid)

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, Barry. Believe it or not, after having published my post I told to myself that pressurized water would be better than compressed air due to the non compressibility of water and I thought about editting my post to correct that, but I’m dealing with staff on 2 laptops + 1 smartphone right now, and I have no time to do everything I want to do…
Thanks for your comment.

Guru

I’ve been reusing plastic bottles for years and suffered only minor brain damage.

2 Likes

EA2IF, Puedes probar a intentar introducir una cámara de bicicleta y darle presión, eso sacara el bollo rápidamente, es posible que una de carretera fina entre.