Avoiding out-of-band transmission

Martyn, thanks for your detailed reply.

Good to confirm that.

That’s well illustrated by comparing the spectrum analyser plots of a ‘continuous dots’ CW emission from my friend [G8EJN] on his TS590 for two cases: 10wpm and 30wpm.

First, the 10wpm case …

Now, the 30wpm case …

The ripples in the sideband envelope change with increasing dot speed but the bandwidth is about the same for both, i.e. approx. -30dBm down from the carrier at +/- 100Hz from the carrier frequency and approx -40dBm down from the carrier at +/- 200Hz.

It seems each sideband is about 100Hz wide [depending on your chosen definition of bandwidth] so I guess one could go as close as 100Hz to a band edge as you say. But, as you also say [and as I previously stated, and at the risk of more objections] my natural caution would be to guard-band my CW Tx a bit more, to 200Hz, to allow for these other factors.

Regards, Andy

A point of terminology Andy. Dbm refers to an absolute power level referenced to a milliwatt. So 0 dbm is 1 milliwatt, 3 dbm is close to 2 milliwatt, 20 dbm is 100 mW.

Where you want to say a particular signal is 20 db below another you just use db as the reference level is defined. If referencing a defined carrier you use dbc.

Minor point only.

Andrew, thanks for the clarification and reminder on the usage of those terms.

When I wrote that post I glanced at the plot scaling, saw “dBm” (for Ref and Range), which was in my head then. If I had been less hasty I might have noticed “dB per div” just below it which would have reminded me to express the difference between levels in dBs.

1 Like

Your plots very nicely illustrate what was said above. I think they also say that the keying envelope on that TS590 is easily sharp enough for the very highest human-readable speeds. For those of us who struggle with 30WPM (:scream:) a gentler keying envelope (if available) would happily accommodate our lower speeds and result in a reduced bandwidth.

1 Like