Australian heat wave

thats some hardcore sh*t right there - even though those trucks have the best burnover protection there is - its about the last resort but holy damn.

It’s hard for us to picture here as the rain falls persistently on waterlogged and flooded fields. It’s also hard to believe there are still nay sayers re climate change at the highest levels - but this thread wasn’t about the wonders of our political leaders. Here’s to the better side of human kind, the volunteers and emergency services

Stay safe

1 Like

Due to the weather and associated fire risk, the association managers for vk1 and vk2 have issued recommendations against activating in forest areas for the forseeable future. As an example of the government view of some forests and parks, the government controlling the vk1 area (Australian Capital Territory) has closed the major wilderness area (Bimberi Wilderness) from now until the end of March 2020.

Activators have been reminded that they are responsible for any activation decisions and they must take access, escape routes, food and water as well as clothing requirements into account when planning any activation if they decide it is feasible.

We are of course, hoping for rain, but the outlook is not good.

As if to remind us that fires are still running to the east of Canberra, heavy smoke rolled into Canberra all afternoon and increased around 5-6pm as I was on my way home northwards. My brother VK1DO reported ash falling in Canberra’s east around 5pm. At home, I cannot see the local hills near my place due to smoke.

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH
AM for VK2

2 Likes

In VK1 Canberra 104 F (40 C) in the shade @ 3pm local time, 21 Dec 19.

My brother in law is heading for oz. I told him to be careful, as it could be 40 degress in the shade. No worries, he said, I’ll stay well clear of the shade.

1 Like

I worked several forest fires in 1988-89, including the 1988 Yellowstone National Park fires, as a public health doc assessing smoke inhalation among firefighters. The videos posted are scary enough, but they don’t convey the frightening awe of being there in real life, with the sight filling your entire field of vision, and the enormous roaring sound like a freight train the fire makes as it burns through the forest. Ever since, I’ve tried to park my car nose-end out to facilitate quick escapes – a mandatory practice around wildfires, even at base.

It breaks my heart that this is becoming the new norm, in Oz and around the world.

3 Likes

Drought and high temperatures here in vk5 caused me to stop activating summits at the end of September, two months earlier than I normally do. As Andrew said with out rain it may be a while before we can safely get out again,but I do hope to make Mt Lofty an activation on New Years Morning as I purposely saved that summit for then for the New Year SOTA on air party that has evolved over the years. Last Friday 20th of December I was watching the weather satellite map as the dry thunder storm passed over our state in 45c and then check the Fire service web site to see fires starting behind the front with dry lightning strikes. Very scary day with 3 major fires raging and several smaller out breaks as well to stretch the Emergency Services to the limit. The other problem in such wx events, its too dangerous for the water bomber aircraft to fly as well and that has a major impact on the abilities to combat the fires.
regards
Ian vk5cz …

1 Like

Photo of koalas rescued and in care during the fires. There are many animal support groups who do this in VK

5 Likes

Hey, if the baby photos are starting to come out :-), here’s ours:

3 Likes

The next phase of the Great Australian Heatwave will hit VK1, VK2 and VK3 on Saturday with a forecast of 38 to 39 C followed by 40 to 42 C on Sunday. Still no sign of rain or the Top End (VK8) wet season (The Big Wet) which drives moisture over the southern and eastern states, not this year!

In the meantime daytime temps are in the mid 30s.

73, Andrew VK1AD