ARRL Life Long Learning

I am excited to announce I will be presenting for the #ARRL #lifelonglearning on September 16 at 8 pm eastern time on getting started with Summits on the Air. It will be a 30 min presentation giving a general overview of the program and steps to whet the appetite for the activity. I have more focused ones planned for the future. If you are an ARRL member please visit the page and register if you are not a member join up. The ARRL is a good organization that depends on membership input to grow and serve the armature community.

73 De W7JET Brian in Mesa AZ

8 Likes

Unfortunately “Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 5 PM PDT / 8 PM EDT (0000 UTC on Thursday, September 17)” translates to 2 am Thursday with me, So I wont be able to attend -good luck with the presentation.

Ed DD5LP.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am always excited to promote the activity

Just registered. Although I’m familiar with the SOTA scheme, I’m looking forward to hearing your presentation! Best wishes & 73~

I have registered and will make every effort to be online at that time. It is a good time in eastern VK, 10am. I’ve been an arrl member since the mid 70s. Looking forward to seeing a W7 perspective on SOTA.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

2 Likes

Just curious, what is the motivation from someone in VK country to join the ARRL?

QST mag, mainly. ARRL membership is the only method of subscribing to the magazine. Though I have found the technical content has dropped gradually in favour of QEX magazine.

1 Like

Oh, a small member benefit was being able to operate W1AW when I visited ARRL HQ in 2005. One of those things members aspire to, and most don’t get the chance.

1 Like

QST is a great magazine, especially the older ones from the 40s & 50s. I do enjoy those. One of my goals is to operate some of the various stations like old battleships and W1AW… Probably will have to wait until after COVID though :mask:

Hi David,
Both the ARRL and RSGB win world-wide members through the quality of their magazine(s).

Since the latest inclusion of QCX, OTA and NCJ along with QST - all in digital form, for under US$50/year - it’s a very good deal as long as one is happy with just getting the digital, not paper versions of the mags.

RSGB’s RadCom, I get as paper and digital as there is no reduced price digital-only membership.

73 Ed DD5LP (Bavaria, Germany).

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

Congratulations on presenting “getting started with Summits on the Air”. Since your presentation is middle of the night over here in Europe, will it be available for viewing online afterwards? 73

2 Likes

Brilliant idea Brian and so timely!

Good luck & 73,
Tom, N2YTF
W1 Area Manager

1 Like

Thanks Paul

Thank you I has a good time doing a complete series

Brian, can you fit a few minutes into your presentation about signing up for SOTA services? If you can, let me know and I’ll let you know a few pertinent items that would be good to be included for newbies.

1 Like

Yes please send me the information. I will put together a presentation and send it to the Bob for approval and scheduling.

Thanks Brian. Now I just need to find time to write it down for you! I’ll take this offline and work with you.

Introduction to SOTA, and another one about portable antennas are available on line

https://www.gotostage.com/channel/d8ea15d6ea99464e8ec08c33d7e1e3e5/recording/4352805a313d4fd2b9b1e7a48f9d2bf4/watch?source=CHANNEL

https://www.gotostage.com/channel/d8ea15d6ea99464e8ec08c33d7e1e3e5/recording/c14bd0cc5db346bc905136e1c6295434/watch?source=CHANNEL

Failing that, go to ARRL, learning, webinars

1 Like