Around the World from Mt. Elomendi EA2/NV-037 by EA2IF/P on 29/03/2021

Mt. Elomendi’s summit is nearly 1300m a.s.l. and its prominence is nearly 800m with a great take-off to all directions. It also has a very deteriorated road to the very top, thanks to the several communication systems installed in the huge tower at the top.

The down side is the QRM from the several KWs of RF being transmitted from there.
However, the FT-817ND could cope with it and I managed to populate my log with dozens of QSOs.
My setup today was an inverted vee 14m long endfed wire to a 9:1 unun with a 6m long counterpoise wire extended on the grass.
My rig was FT-817ND at 5W with a MFJ-941B antenna tuner.
Battery was LiFePo4 4S2P.

You can see here how I tied my fishing rod today:

This is the feed point:

The city of Pamplona can be seen far in the distance on the left hand side.

My operation went like this:

• 30m CW: 37 QSOs, 2 of which were S2S, in 41 minutes.

• 60m CW: 1 S2S QSO after nearly 20 minutes CQing.

• 20m CW: 16 QSOs, 2 of which were DX, 1 USA and 1 ZL after about 1/2 hour CQing.

• 40m CW: 20 QSOs, 3 of which were S2S, after about 35 minutes CQing.

• 20m CW: 10 QSOs after about 25 minutes CQing.

A total of 84 QSOs in the log, 6 of which were S2S and 2 were DX (USA and New Zealand)
You can see it on the map:

It was a great pleasure being on the air again from a summit and I gathered 4 activator points + 3 when the winter bonus is just about to end.

Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs today. I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again soon from a summit.

Guru

15 Likes

Great result, Guru!
Two distant continents in one activation - luck and skill. The photo has a feeling of flight …
Thanks and wishes for a complete recovery!
Vlad

2 Likes