Arenig Fawr GW/NW-011 & Moel Llyfnant GW/NW-018

Thanks for all the contacts today, sorry that HF was cut short on Moel Llyfnant but the roach pole collapsed and I thought that I’d push on to the next summit because of the poor weather rather than set it up again. My poor CW was made even worse by the cold weather, well, that’s my excuse anyway :slight_smile:

I did try calling DH8DX/P for S2S on 30m from Moel Llyfnant but he couldn’t hear me. But I managed to work GW6WRW/P on SW-002 and Rob & Audrey G4RQJ/P on LD-031 for S2S 2m FM on Arenig Fawr.

The two summits in fact were very cold and shrouded in cloud all day. combined with the gusty wind we didn’t want to stay on the summits too long.

Saw a fox just below the summit of Arenig Fawr, I don’t know who was surprised the most. I haven’t seen a fox that high up before in Snowdonia.

I gave HF a miss on Arenig due to the weather (-5C), sorry to anyone waiting for a QSO. I’ll post a short video on the SOTA section on YouTube.

Thanks for those who spotted us.

73’s to all & festive greetings

Roger MW0IDX

I have looked at the possibility of these two as a ‘pair’. I have only done Arenig Fawr from the North/North-East before, and have never done Moel Llyfnant. What was your parking/starting point Roger, and what was your overall route?

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom,
Nice pair to do. I park on the A4212 at the start of the footpath at Nant Ddu (SH808352). Followed track up to the derelict cottage where a 4x4 track can be seen heading up to the right. Eventually this peters out and then its is best to follow the gully to the summit.

From Moel Llyfnant head East down the summit to a flat sometimes boggy area before climbing up to Craig y Bychau. In clear weather the path is quite easy to make out from the slopes of Llyfnant.

From Craig y Bychau head North along the path to the summit of Arenig Fawr. Keeping close to the wire fence for most of the way.

Head North down from the summit for a hundred yards or so before turning West down the second gully. Nice grassy slope, eventually you come across another deserted farmhouse where you can follow the road through the forestry land and back to the first deserted cottage.

Hope that all makes sense!

Roger MW0IDX

Thanks Roger. Sounds a nice day out for Jimmy and I in the coming months.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to MW0IDX:
Thanks Roger,

There are far too many gaps in my knowledge when it cvomes to North Wales. Your report has filled one. I can see on the map where you went. Well done on two so high in cold WX. Can’t have been comfortable!

73 and seasons greetings,

John G4YSS.