Are you getting more done because of the lock-downs?

One of the benefits of lockdown is that I can observe our bird-feeders in the garden. I’m not a keen bird-watcher but a watcher by opportunity. The longer you observe then the more you see.

I often used to work from home and used a laptop in the kitchen, but as this is a longer term setup, I have the laptop and a monitor in a different place in the kitchen and now can watch the feeders whereas before they were not visible without moving.

Living on the edge of large town on the boundary between town and country and with lots of natural and man made forest about, there are plenty of birds. We have typical UK garden birds, House and Tree Sparrows, Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Robins. In lesser numbers than previous are Starlings and Blackbirds. We used to get huge numbers of Siskins and Chaffinches but none this year. Occasionally Bullfinches and Greenfinches. We’ve had one observed Greenfinch this year and this morning there was a Goldfinch.

However, the best result is we now have a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers feeding. The male has been coming everyday for the past 2-3weeks and now the eggs must have hatched because the female and male are alternating every few minutes and flying off with a mouthful of food. They are really quite large and aggressive clearing the feeder of other birds every time they visit. Peanuts appear to be their favourite, we have a mix of seed, fat-balls and peanuts in the feeders.

An issue is that we do have varying problems with tree rats (Grey Squirrels) who are far too smart. After Mrs. FMF invested in a squirrel-proof feeder the birds were happy. Then the squirrels managed to remove it and dragged it away to the far undergrowth. Mrs. FMF brought it back but it vanished again and when found had been damaged beyond repair. I need a gun as removing vermin from the local fauna would please me no end. The other problem is there are massive numbers of Magpies and Jackdaws which make a lot of noise and always seem to take a dump above the cars when flying away. They’re protected so no chance of a cull, needed when you can regularly count 6 or more Magpies in the garden.

I’ll post some pictures of the woodpeckers when I get the chance.

1 Like
1 Like

Hi Andy,
Your post reminded me one spring back in 2011, when I was still living in Aranjuez-Madrid, I discovered a birds nest in our backyard and I organised a way to closely spy it without disturbing them. I setup a small telescope by the window of a room upstairs permanently pointing+focused on the nest and I regularly payed visits to observe the progress of the chickens. This is the only picture I’ve been able to find. It was amazing how fast they grew up. In a matter of 2 weeks or so, they all left the nest and I never saw them again. I hope they were not chased by a cat or some other predator…

These are some other birds I’ve watched and pictured in our backyard in EA2/NV:
imagen

I’ve also observed several times in our garden in EA2/NV some hoopoes.
I can’t find the pics now, so let me show you this one I’ve got from the web for you to see the bird, just in case you don’t know it by that name “hoopoe”:
imagen

Nice hobby the bird watching…

Guru

1 Like

Guru, I have only seen hoopoe in England twice, however I spot many when I’m in EA8.

Female Great Spotted Woodpecker.

3 Likes

And here’s her partner, Male Great Spotted Woodpecker (males have a red patch on the back of the head).

3 Likes

More stuff Ive been doing.

Took the car for a drive to a local high point and used a CB mag mount on 10 Meters and work a station in Sweden on FM. The next day I drove to the same spot and worked a station in Germany on SSB.

Purchased a non working MW/LW transistor radio off ebay in an attempt to repair it,

Purchased the Intermediate Licence book in readiness for when the Radio Clubs are open.

Non Radio stuff - Found my DSLR and attempted for take photos of the Sparrows on the bird feeder in the back Garden…

Not getting bored/Going Stir Crazy (yet)

1 Like

As we are still on the bird watching topic vs. squillel topic.

Well known science YouTube star Mark Rober had a similar struggle:

Just because it fits.

Personally I did not see too many changes in productivity. Actually more extra work in meal preparation as work cafeteria is closed of course.

4 Likes

Peter,
Yes, Whitmer is out there, and so is my gov - Newsom. BTW, I was bonr & raised in Michigan - Bay City.

Looks like a nicely made EFHW transformer, 64:1 from the coil count. I like the combined enclosure/wire winder! I am guessing the hole on the one side is to mount it on a mast. Nice work!

As for me, got a few more things I wanted to do done…at expense of what ‘should’ have been done. A couple projects held up for items on order that can’t be purchased here due to lockdown.

Howard

1 Like

Oh - yeah! But it is costing me a fortune in JEEP parts and radios. Three new radios, $500 there total, a new winch for the JEEP, $2000 there, lots of rewiring, needs wire, wire loom, electrical tape, nylon zip-ties…

When this virus stuff breaks, our expedition to Sedona AZ is going to be HOT, but FUN!

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC – El Paso, TX.

2 Likes

Not doing a couple of summits every week certainly leaves time to do other things - mostly of lower priority than the walks and put off indefinitely :slightly_smiling_face:
Refurbishing the workshop/shack was already under way before lock-down and that ended up being much more far-reaching than normal circumstances would have allowed. Still not complete - paused for taking stock and deciding what is wrong with the changes and considering re-changes before the final phase.
The garden has had a few long standing tasks attended to as well a few new requests from the head gardener.
Four new aerials (a 4m Moxon and three portable verticals for HF) have appeared.

We have lived her since 1974 and yesterday I did something new - I walked to our local SOTA summit, Aconbury, G/WB-024. Partly to see if I could (gardening and cycling do not seem to improve my walking fitness), partly as a challenge and partly to see if the paths on the map actually exist on the ground - not all do :rage:
Getting there took three hours with only minor delays for route finding (been there by bike before so the road links were familiar). That was longer than expected so putting up my Alert as I approached the hill was a good move. I found a spot in the bracken and brambles on top of the rampart, made a quick s2s with M1HAX/p on G/WB-019 - thanks, Richard - hung my dipole from a large twig and had a bite to eat before calling and making 5 contacts - all on 2m FM. Coming back was more interesting and rather nicer apart from the missing path - the northerly views are wider and the fields were grass rather than crop and I added a bit more climb to avoid a further length of tarmac. I was absolutely knackered by the time I reached home - which bodes ill for N Wales in July (if open) and Scotland in Autumn. Would I do it again? No! That hill is much better cycled as we did during the tighter lock-down to see the bluebells. However, I am looking at possible routes to the next one - but expecting to cycle.

Looking forward to the opening of Wales - perhaps in time for the 12,10,6m challenge week.
Rod

2 Likes

It looks like I have new opportunities to get the portable gear right and to improve the chasing set-up …

Restrictions on movement: From Wednesday stricter corona regulations in Bavaria

Because of the current corona situation, the Bavarian state government has decided to introduce even stricter rules. The new rules in Bavaria will initially apply from Wednesday until January 5, 2021.

Restrictions on movement : From Wednesday onwards, general restrictions on movement will apply in Bavaria. Accordingly, people will only be allowed to leave the house for “valid reasons” - such as work, visits to the doctor, school, shopping, sports, church services and visits to another household. Unlike in spring, however, shops will remain open. In regions with more than 200 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants, there will also be a night-time curfew - with few exceptions such as professional activities or medical emergencies

From Wednesday lockdown and night curfew in Bavaria

Due to the continuing high number of cases, the Bavarian state government has decided on a new set of measures that will apply in Bavaria from Wednesday, December 16, until January 10 for the time being,

Curfew : Starting on Wednesday, a nightly curfew from 9 pm to 5 am will be in effect throughout Bavaria. During this time, staying outside the home is only possible in exceptional cases - for example, in the case of medical emergencies, professional and official activities as well as for the care of animals. Violations are subject to a minimum fine of 500 euros. The curfew also applies on Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

Shops : From Wednesday onwards, most shops will have to close. Exempt from this are shops for daily needs - such as supermarkets, drugstores, pharmacies, petrol stations as well as post offices and banks.

Schools and nurseries : From Wednesday onwards, face-to-face teaching will be cancelled at all Bavarian schools until the holidays. Instead, only distance learning is to be implemented, especially for graduating classes. However, emergency care is to be set up at the schools. In addition, all Bavarian nurseries will also be closed.

Christmas : During the holidays, a household can meet with up to four other family members or life partners plus their children under the age of 14, within the limits of contact restrictions. Single persons may spend Christmas with another household, but no other family members or households may then be invited.

New Year’s Eve : A ban on gathering applies on New Year’s Eve this year. In addition, the sale of pyrotechnics is prohibited throughout Bavaria.

1 Like

Here are the latest additional restrictions for Bavaria - we thought had come in yesterday but only come into effect next Monday.
The good news is that in my regional area, thankfully the infection rate at last, has started to fall, so the lockdown is starting to have an effect. We are approaching the 50 in 100,000 level, where (once achieved nationally), it is thought reasonable to lift the lockdown as all infections can then be “track & traced” again - at the higher numbers, it simply is not possible. Lets hope 1. the numbers today are correct and 2. other regions of Bavaria and Germany start to see falling numbers as well.

From Monday 11th January further restrictions in Bavaria

The measures and regulations currently in force in Bavaria will be extended until January 31, 2021 for the time being, according to a decision of the Bavarian cabinet. In addition, from next Monday, January 11, there will be a tightening of the rules in some areas:

Contact restrictions : From Monday, meetings beyond one’s own household are only allowed with one other person. This also applies to children. In terms of childcare, however, there is an exception: families and neighbours can organise childcare in the form of “contact families” from Monday. Within this exception, children (under the age of 14) of one family may be brought to a firmly chosen other family on a regular basis.

Restrictions on movement : In towns and districts with an incidence value of more than 200 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants, people will only be allowed to move within a radius of 15 kilometres of their municipal boundary from Monday. Exceptions apply for valid reasons such as shopping, visiting relatives and life partners, and going to work, but not for tourist day trips.

Shopping : As of Monday, shops in Bavaria are allowed to offer goods previously ordered via the internet and telephone for collection. This is subject to strict protection and hygiene concepts. Apart from that, most shops in Bavaria will have to remain closed.

Schools and nurseries : Bavarian schools will remain closed until January 31. However, distance learning will be set up for all grades. In addition, emergency childcare will be set up for children in grades one to six as well as for pupils of special schools and children with disabilities. Furthermore, the carnival holidays will be cancelled in order to make up for previously cancelled lessons. Moreover, nursery schools in Bavaria will also remain closed, but emergency childcare will be set up there.

Curfew : The nightly curfew from 9 pm to 5 am continues to apply throughout Bavaria. This means that, during this time window, people are only allowed to leave their own homes for strictly defined reasons - such as medical emergencies, professional activities or caring for persons in need of support.

1 Like

It’s been an interesting 9 months, particularly during the tight restrictions. My wife and I both work for the NHS but she is a high risk thus has been shielding (working from home) with my 3 year old daughter, which I’d say has been pretty constant since March and a wee bit stressful at times (particularly for my wife having to do her job with a 3 year old at home). However, we did find we had a lot of evening and weekend time to fill that would have normally been occupied with trips to the zoo etc… As such, we have done a lot of walks around the neighbourhood for our daily exercise, and I’ll be honest, I didn’t even really know my own neighbourhood prior to all this. From a radio perspective, I only passed my foundation just after lockdown, thus was eager to try lots of new things, but with limited practical experience and restriction in place, it was a little bit difficult to gain any momentum at first. After a lot of research and loads of help from my local club via our WhatsApp group and a bit of trial and error, I’ve managed to get myself actually achieving some stuff with the radio. I now regularly take part in the club nets, got myself on wires-x too, learned morse (slowly may I add!!), tinkering with HF and getting contacts as far as Poland and Italy (which I was quite impressed with) and just this week I managed to get my first SOTA activation on the last day of my Xmas holidays before returning to work, which I was really happy with. I’m honestly not too sure if I’d have done all of this though if we were not in a lockdown…the family and the routine of life tends to prevent this type of “stuff” from happening as much (for me anyway).

This new lockdown is a little different… The weather isn’t so kind and work is particularly busy… But I do try to get myself on the radio a couple of times a week and get a few contacts in and take part in the nets when I can.

I hope you are all using your time to do the things you couldn’t otherwise and keeping yourselves safe!

2 Likes