APRS question

I’ve noticed quite a few are now using APRS tracking.
This morning i’ve been tracking someone doing WAB squares.
He seems to be using an iPhone app Ham tracker to send the info to aprs.fi.
Does anyone know of a similar app for Symbian (Nokia) OS with Ovimaps?
(cue Andy)

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:
I asked my Dad for you Roger, and he said because of the restrictions in Symbian OS, like the lack of support for some of the web protocols like AJAX etc the website will only show you the basic text info which is not very good as you cant view the maps. Some of the later S60 phones on 3rd release can do a little bit better, but because of the lack of functionality no one has bothered to write a decent program to use with APRS on Symbian. This guy is working hard to do it but as yet there are no downloads, Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
My dad said that at the moment he recommends the Orange San fransisco PAYG priced at £99 but if you work in the public sector, teachers etc included, then if you request it at point of sale there is a further £20 discount, but this is only at Orange owned stores. It has GPS and runs Android 2.1 (easily upgradeable) can be unlocked here for free Unlock Phone | Unlock Codes | Cell Phone Unlocking Service Online - UnlockBase just choose ZTE then option ZTE Blubelt, Has a 3.2 mp camera and full satnav for free as well as all the other stuff you get with android. Pair this with a GifGaf simcard and for £10 per month you get 250 mins, unlimited text and UNLIMITED DATA ! And there are quite a few Ham Radio apps for Android including APRS ones and of course Google Latitude.

Hope that helps
Morgan
M3LMP

In reply to G4OWG:

Well it’s funny you should say that Roger. I wrote something to play with the GPS in my E71. Getting the data from the GPS is trivial. I had it so it wrote the data to the SD card. Connecting to APRS-IS is trivial to. The only bits I never did was a dynamic posting routine, i.e. something that alters how often you send a posit depending on how far you’ve moved and the logon codes. You can connect to APRS-IS read only easily but to send data you need to logon differently and I never bothered with that. The main reason that maintaining a data connection and running the GPS eats the battery in no time on this phone.

Here’s something for you Roger to show the posits from MM, GM, 2M, GB and MB stations and works fine on my E71. I’ve not looked at OviMaps API to see what there is in there. You can see how trivial it is to receive posits on Symbian albeit with either 3g or Wifi connection.

#!/usr/bin/python
import socket
HOST = ‘mb7uxx.dns2go.com
PORT = 10153
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.connect((HOST, PORT))

data = s.recv(256)
print repr(data)

try:
– s.sendall(‘USER G4OWG PASS -1 VERS pyAPRS 0.1 FILTER B/MM*/GM*/2M*/MB*/GB*\r\n’)
except:
– print “Can’t log on”
– exit(0)

while True:
– data = s.recv(256)
– print repr(data)

s.close()

(Replace the – with a tab as the reflector removes indenting)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I should have said you have to reboot the phone to end this app. I must add an exit key handler to it!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks Morgan and Lee but I will need surgically removing from my Nokia phone.

Andy thanks for that will give it a try. The only bit I don’t like is the restart to end.
I’ve stopped switching my phone off since a failed software upgrade caused all sorts of weird effects. Should do a factory reset but don’ want to lose any payed for apps.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Something like this (the page is in Finnish) maybe?

http://wiki.ham.fi/Java_ME_APRS_MIDlet

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to MM0FMF:

Been playing with Python on my N5800 and have just spent a morning trying to find out if there is a SMS to APRS-IS gateway that I could use to send position reports to the APRS network using free SMS messages. The only one I’ve been able to find so far is SAMAIL in australia. However the only documentation for it relates to sending message packets rather than position packets. Can anyone please point me to a suitable gateway if one exists. An easy to understand introduction to APRS containing packet formats would also be a big help.

73 Rick.

P.S. I’m not interested in UDP/HTTP connections as these cost real money on my tariff.

In reply to M0RCP:

I have to do a few updates to SMS gateway for some overseas requests so I may be able to roll some changes in for APRS forwarding. Rick, email me off line and we can discuss things. (mm0fmf_sota AT intermoose.com)

Andy
MM0FMF