APRS Igate

Amazon have the sound card in their van and destined for me :slight_smile:

While awaiting the delivery and the time to build a new Pi config. I decided to do some testing.

Swapped the loft based aerial for the external discone antenna to feed the Pi/SDR.
Used the loft based antenna to feed the Icom.
On a laptop running AFSK1200 Decoder I connected the laptop to the Icom via an audio cable and using the FT3D went for a walk.
The laptop/Icom picked up the data bursts every 10mins as configured on the FT3D.

The Pi/SDR only picked me up at home at the start and at the finish back home.

I noticed that I picked up G7NIR-7 who was mobile in North Wales on the Icom/Laptop combo.

I will repeat the same test once the Pi is rebuilt to see how the results compare.

Good news. The USB sound card arrived and after a bit head scratching, I sussed the direwolf.conf file had been returned to default so I needed to setup again.

A quick test from the window ledge, the FT3D - m0vaz-7 is back sending APRS packets :slight_smile:
Cheers all.

I’ve never quite found the time to experiment but thought the Dorji modules (with the right filtering etc) might make a suitable low cost solution. SV1AFN does one.

I think the module is in a few cheapo handhelds.

Wondered if there was any experience with them as either an igate or digipeater?

1 Like

Hi Alex
Thanks for the link to the VHF transceiver.
It might be a candidate for an Igate/Digipeater.
Currently hooked up to yet another scanner - this time a Uniden Bearcat (saves leaving the R7000 powered up)

I do have a spare Motorola GP300 VHF handheld that I think has no TX - this could be another option.

Stumbled upon an issue. It appears direwolf is not auto starting after a Pi reboot.
Also if I have a putty session to the Pi, manually run direwolf command this works, but when I drop the session it stops…

I think I will rebuild the Pi to remove the remains of other installs.

Add an & to the end of the command when starting manually and it should stay running in the background e.g.

direwolf &

1 Like

Thanks.
Just as your reply landed, I had just finished with this bit of config

Which I think has worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

Systemd is like Brexit… the gift that keeps on giving :wink:

Again, I have two G0BSX BSX2 TNC kits if anyone wants to run an APRS node. Full kits inc. PCB, components and some modem chips (rare as hens teeth nowadays).

If you want one you can have them for free BUT you have to assemble them (2hrs or so) and have to promise to use them in an APRS node.