APRS Configuration

Hello, I’m completely new to SOTA and decided to have a crack at a local Summit for a test run. I found some information regarding APRS spotting and attempted to set up my FT3D.

I used the following configuration:
DigiPath: P3(FIXED) Wide1-1, Wide2-1
GPS Location as required
Callsign (APRS): M0LDF ← No SSID as read
Position Comment: In Service ← Seems it will always comment so made it meaningful

Message was scripted to: Callsign SOTA and read:
G/TW-005 145.325MHz FM M0LDF/P CQ SOTA Calling now

I know my message was getting out as my own iGate was approx 20 miles away and placed me on APRS.fi

I received the following message back: Callsign DL0QW
Welcome M0LDF on summit G/TW-005 Normandby Top (IO93UK). gl if you activate this refer…

However, on my return home, examining the SOTAWatch hits for the 24 hour period did not show my attempted activation. Can anyone spot my error?

Many thanks in advance, I look forward to enlightenment :smile:

de
Faz (M0LDF)

1 Like

Hej Faz,

did you register for APRS2SOTA?
DL0QW has nothing to do with your SOTA spot.

Ahoi
Pom

Thanks for the reply,
errrr… a great question… I’m guessing not :blush: - Seemed to have to register for a number of SOTA sites and I didn’t realise APRS2SOTA was a separate entity.

Thank you for highlighting that - I’ll go away and have a look.

Cheers,
-=Faz=-

I think you may want to remove MHz from the frequency field next time you try after registering :wink:

https://www.sotaspots.co.uk/Aprs2Sota_Info.php

Thanks Christophe,
That was the information I had previously read without finding a need for registration. However, re-reading through it, it seems he has changed his email address which explains the bounceback this morning.

Cheers :smiley:

73 de
-=Faz=-

UPDATE I sent a message via the reflector and Stewart has very kindly added me to the database… think that’s a win! Many thanks all for pointing me in the right direction :smile:

Aprs requires an SSID.
-7 is for walking/handheld
This will give also the proper symbol on the map.

73 Joe

here you can read some info about “Camilla DL0QW-12”:

and you can see the latest APRS2SOTA spots on aprs.fi here:
Messages of SOTA – aprs.fi – live APRS map

and you can remove the “MHz” and the “.” in the QRG … so
G/TW-005 145325 FM M0LDF/P COMMENT
should also work!

73 Martin, OE5REO

Thanks for the info Joe and Martin, appreciate you taking the time :smiley:
On the SSID, I may have misread, but I thought it said to not include it - I will of course re-read everything before next time.

Regards the Camilla message… I eventually figured that out via QRZ but did not realise I’d managed to make a nuisance of myself on APRS.fi… for which I apologise to the community :blush: I assumed I wasn’t making it to my iGate at first and had not clicked that registration was required.

I’ll also remove the extra characters.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to point me in the right direction, I’ll endeavour to not make such a fuss next time :smile:

73 Faz, M0LDF

Maybe I missunderstood. You should configure it in you handheld so that you are correctly identified as a portable station. But send the message just to SOTA without any SSID. That is correct.

For the registration only your main callsign is relevant.

Good luck and as suggested do a testspot before heading for a summit.
73 Joe

I send mine without an SSID and have no trouble. I think the main concern with the SSID is that it might cause your spot to come up with the SSID as well. KM4BLG-3, for example. I think there is a field that allows you to explicitly specify a call sign. This would probably allow you to get around this issue if you had a reason that you had to have an SSID.

APRS2SOTA does not care what SSID is used (or if you use one at all) in the APRS Header, but you should not use anything other than the optional /P or /M on any callsign included in the data.

1 Like

Dear Stuart, if you already have my email please disregard this. I am hoping to get registered before Sunday with APRS2SOTA so I can spot from Ben Nevis. If you are busy that is OK. I am just unsure if my email reached you as there were several ones online. Best regards Scot 2E0WWV