Apologies for repeated spots

My phone seems to have been autonomously spotting Caroline all afternoon, long after we had left the summit. I’m not sure why it repeats like this. I have now cleaned up the spurious spots. It was a good run on 40m, but not THAT long. Apologies to anybody who was misled.

In reply to M1MAJ:
Hi Martyn

I thought it a little strange, particularly when I couldn’t hear Caroline or anyone calling her !

Thanks for all the summits this week

73 Graham G3OHC

In reply to M1MAJ:

I’ve seen this before. The phone thinks data it is sending has not been acknowledged and continues to repost the data. The result is multiple “things” happening. Normally happens when reception is compromised in some way.

It happened to me at Munich airport last year on the way back from Friedrichshafen. I texted a friend and because coverage was ropey in the departure lounge my phone didn’t know the SMS had been received by the network. It continued to re-send it every minute for 10 minutes costing me some horrible roaming rate charge every time. It only stopped when I deleted the message from the outgoing messages box on the phone.

Technology: it’s just far too complex, bring back TPTG 807s !

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

bring back TPTG 807s !

Now you’re talking! T5C signals, and don’t use a narrow filter 'cos the QRG goes up by 2kc/s during an over. Don’t you just yearn for the good old days :wink:

73 de Paul G4MD

(who is quickly realising he was born half a century too late…)

In reply to G4MD:

I’ve been building a glowbug using an ECL86 for 40m/30m for a long time now. Well I should say I’ve been collecting the bits. I think I have everything now, just need to bash some metal for the PSU and chassis. Perhaps by the time I retire it will be finished. (Much like my 3cms gear!)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve been building a glowbug using an ECL86 for 40m/30m for a long time now.

My first 30m rig ran a QQVO3/10 pa with the sections strapped in parallel to produce 10W output from a 250V HT supply - crystal controlled VXO circuit, 6BH6 oscillator - worked VK6HD just after completing it. Keep on in there with your project Andy and enjoy the rewards. I used to love watching my modulation on the QQV03/20 pa in my 2m AM transmitter.

As for phone technology - I’ve also had issues where mine has sent multiple texts - not ideal as I was paying for them at the time. Thankfully they are free on my latest tariff.

73, Gerald

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve been building a glowbug using an ECL86 for 40m/30m for a long
time now.

Hi Andy

Good luck with the valved transmitter! I have one of my own on the stocks at present, will probably use a 6V6 but getting sufficiently chunky crystals on the right frequencies is proving problematic and may have to resort to a separate low power oscillator (6J5, or perhaps an EF50). Or even a VFO.

Look forward to hearing your own creation on the air!

73 de Paul G4MD

PS biggest problem of course is relearning CW…