Anyone using Windcamp LiPo accumulator for FT-817/818?

Hi Ludwig,

Thanks for posting your detailed data that may help others!

Your data and observations are similar to mine:

• The capacity of my LiPo was also temperature dependent.
  • After about 120 re-charges (1A charge current) over an active lifespan of less than two years, it had about 30-40% of it’s original capacity, at about 10C environment temperature.
  • Mostly, I used only 70% of its capacity before re-charging. I used the LiPo for about 4 times until it switched off by itself. This is probably bad for its lifespan.
  • Usually, I recharged it just before I did an activation.

When using LiFePO4 batteries, I could not experience a capacity drop with low temperatures. From what I read, one should not charge this chemistry below 0C, but discharging at low temperatures seems to be OK.

73 Stephan

2 Likes

Hello,
Just to confirm…
I use Windcamp Lipo, for at least +/- 10 years and more than 1000 activations.
On activations, i keep having QSO until no more power and charging it when back home, ready to go again.
I used 5 of them, since! With the 3 Amps, i can do about 100 Qso cw/ssb.
Gerald F6HBI

2 Likes

Hi Stephan,

which charger did you use?

Hi Gerald,

which charger did you use?

5 parallel in time or one after the other (10 years / 5 pcs. = 2 years per accumulator)?

1 Like

Hi Ludwig,

The original one that was part of the package is a 2A 12.6V LiIon/LiPo charger, but I use another one with only 1A max. current. Of course, I could also use the universal iMAX B6 charger.

73 Stephan

@DH8WN i used and still use the original charger 12.6V 2.0A
I used 5 of them, not parallel… just because they lost the capacity.
i still own 3 out of 5, that means they last around 4 years and more than 200 activations.
For now, i think i’ll probably get an external accus from hobbyking 3S 5.0A (cheeper)!
Ps: i’m no sure i will be able to climb summits another 10 years (getting old) hi!
Gerald

2 Likes

Has anyone disassembled his Windcamp battery pack and knows the type of the cells that are used? It shouldn’t be too difficult to replace them with new ones.

I don’t want to cut up my battery pack while it’s still good…

1 Like