Anyone tried "morse stick key" ?

Thanks Richard. Yes, I think the pressure sensors are a better option that capacitive touch as it seems to cope fine with moisture and does not appear to be sensitive to RF in the limited tests I’ve done to date. I find I can send on it no problems, but I’m still a novice at CW and don’t go above about 12 wpm, so will be interested to get feedback from some more experienced ops.

David VK3IL

Great work Ron and Dave. (or anyone else who has tried it) I for sure think it is the way to go. So far mine has worked perfectly at home and on the SOTA summits. No contacts to get dirty or clean. I would be willing to bet my monthly retirement check I could hold the paddles under water and it would still work fine, as long as the battery/electronics did not get submerged of course.
BTW Dave, a friend and I just ordered some boards from China to try out your SMT PC board version. I am excited about give that a go also.
73’s
Tim - K5DEZ

Also, an update on my schematic. I used a 500K variable resistor instead of the 30K fixed resistor. I have not measured the exact resistance yet but it at least 150-200K ohm. It made the sensitivity much better and also gives the added benefit of a lot less current draw. On transmit mine measured between 50-80uA so quiescent current has to be very close to zero, or at least my DVM is unable to measure it.
Tim - K5DEZ
P.S. Just made some measurements. The resistor in both the dit and dah circuits is set to 378K ohms. With the tiny A23 12V battery it draws 35uA with one paddle energized and 70uA with both paddles pressed simultaneously.

Hi Tim,

Interesting. I wondered about the 30 k gate resistor. I am using 180 k because that’s what surfaced in the junk box. My current drain with 1,000 hrs of operating is similarly low and I decided not to put an alkaline battery in mine as i will be a SK before it is discharged,:grinning:

David has done a great job with his design.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi,

I’ve now had a half dozen contacts with my prototype pressure sensor paddle. I find it needs s subtle change of technique compared to a paddle that moved before making contact and maybe moves a tich before breaking. The pressure sensors respond fast with pressure and let go fast. Also the pressure needs to be more consistent or at least not too light. A bit more practice and my error rate will be back to normal.

Local activators and chasers expect mistakes from me but at the moment they are being kind and coping quietly with my new “fist”.

Still very happy with it and have a new design on the drawing board. Same circuit but different pcb…

Ron
VK3AFW

Update. 3rd generation pressure paddle. WB5USB and I had some of David’s VK3IL circuit boards made up. The ones that scavenge the power from the rig. I put PCB into one of my keyer paddles instead of making the handheld one. The circuit works great on the KX2 and KX3. May I suggest you give it a Go. All my pressure sensor paddles have been working great on the summits in any climate or WX.
Thanks David.
Tim - K5DEZ

Thanks to all for seeding a pressure sensor into my brain.
I am having fun with an 100g sensor and a thump full of parts.

100g force to move a CW paddle

73, TU de Vk2ihl
Pascal Nguyen

I have not tried this touch paddle from Italy, so I can’t say for certain about this particular one. What I can say for certain is that I have touch paddles built into three of my radios, an MTR3, an MTR5,and one that I made using an ATS4 in a waterproof case such that I can and do use it in pouring rain. My touch paddles have never missed a beat in rain, snow, or with frozen cold fingers… I suspect it would work fine in damp environs. It doesn’t work with gloves on, haven’t tried it with touchscreen gloves.

73 fred kt5x (aka WS0TA)

Tilt switch in a glove:

1 Like

Love it! Use two of the tilt switches (one per finger) and a keyer!!

Ordered and received one today but unfortunately not working with dry fingers!! on ft817
Tried wetting the finger and it works as soon they are wet.
If they dry a little it stop working.

Contacted the company and I let you know the result
73 de In3aqk

That was exactly my experience with one of those touch paddles I tried several years ago. They don’t work with dry skinned fingers, which is, thanks God, what I always have.

Guru