Anyone Around For 2m Activity?

2m FT8 event tonight, 1900-2100z.

Gusts “only” forecast to be 40mph this evening - and me being a glutton for punishment and all that…

Alert posted.

2 Likes

Chris,

I suspect I would need more power, 50W or more perhaps and a larger antenna.

I will have a look first at improving the antenna, either buying a second 5 element and stacking them or get the Diamond 10 element. Stacking might be a bit difficult with a portable mast so the 10 element looks more attractive. I also need to try and get it higher into the air. This should be possible with improved guying.

John

2 Likes

Yes, I was just making sure that you had the report as the antenna wasn’t quite on you the first time. I was fairly certain we had exchanged reports okay, but the second time your 73 was easily copied, so I was happy with that. I could copy Bob G0KYS and earlier I had worked Chris G8BAL in Southampton. However, I didn’t think conditions were very good.

Well, it must have morphed over the airwaves as you were solid Q5 all the time and I had no problem copying what you were sending… only a few spurious characters. :grinning:. I was able to give you a slightly better report than on SSB as I’d swung the beam around a bit. Apologies for sending too fast to start with.

My location was Honey Hill, about 20km NW of Northampton at SP644766 / IO92lj where I parked the car on the wide grass verge and strapped the pole to the door mirror. I was running my usual SOTA kit - 817 + linear (with preamp), 25 watts and 5 element. I’m very pleased we made it okay.

73, Gerald

1 Like

It’s going to be an early night for me. :slight_smile:

Many thanks again Gerald. I was using my IC-705 with 10W into a 5 element Yagi. Your signal was very readable but Patrick F0BDU had commented earlier he thought conditions were poor.

I will try again sometime from a better hill I think. I need to visit High Willhays G/DC-001 soon to get the winter bonus so that might be a good opportunity.

John

2 Likes

A pleasure John. It brought back memories of when I used to go out portable to work Richard G4ERP, Frank G3RMD and a few others on 2m SSB, back in 2006 - 2007. :grinning:

2 Likes

Great to get you itl today John after some slight movements of the beam :blush: your the first contact I’ve had on 2m FT8, never rarely use it, but noticed your spot and plugged the USB cable in the laptop! Hope you had a safe descent and look forward to the next qso. Image below of the distance :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

3 Likes

Ben,

That’s very interesting, especially as with the Brecon Beacons in the way it can’t be line of sight.

But it should be possible to achieve much greater distances using FT8 or FT4. I’ve been picked up on the PSK Reporter map from northern Spain and the east coast of Ireland from my home QTH with my 10W on 2m. It doesn’t happen every time but when conditions are good it can happen. Aircraft scatter may also be an explanation and a QSO might even be possible on FT4.

1 Like

You can use FlightRadar 24 to see if there was a suitable plane in range for it to be aircraft scatter. But at 188 miles on 2m FT8, it will probably be every day tropo scatter. Still 3 DXCC on 2m is nice!

2 Likes

Thank you Andy, I am sure you are right. The 2 French FT8 contacts were almost in-line with each other with F6CIS the furtherest away, a little south of Bordeaux. Spain would have been nice. Probably best tried on a weekend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good idea Tom,
I enjoyed the 2m CW activity last year. I worked Colin M1BUU S2s and one qso into northern DL from GW. (but must say most of the aerial gain was in DL).
I hope to activate the same hill this Satiurday and can run 50W vertical. If there is interest please respond.

Davd
G0EVV

1 Like

I can do 0800 to 1030z this Saturday. Wx looks OK, but I’ve got other commitments from late morning onwards.

27 QSOs in the 2m FT8 event last night.

DX: F4BKV, EA2XR, PA5Y, F6CIS

QRAs: IN83, 94, 95, IO70, 74, 81, 82, 83, 91, 92, 93, JO01, 02, 21

DXCCs: EA, F, G, GI, PA

I know it’s FT8 so it probably doesn’t count but nonetheless a satisfying haul on VHF with 5 watts!

3 Likes

That’s a good haul Tom. What antenna are you using?

1 Like

No Tom, it may be FT8 but it shows the propagation extent for what is a QRP 2m signal so it totally counts. The only problem is some people like to be a bit more involved in their QSOs.

However, I’m thinking we may run a few sessions of FT8/WSPR when we next take part in a contest. It will be interesting to see where 400W and 2x 5wavelength Yagis can get to compared with voice/Morse.

2 Likes

Old SOTAbeams SB5 - 5 el. Yagi. Rather suboptimally, as the patch cable I was using (BNC to two croc clips) is causing mediocre SWR (4 bars on 817 VSWR meter). Need to have a look at this before the next outing.

2 Likes

But it clearly works!

Yes. But it should be working better.

1 Like

Sunday, the 6th of February, the DARC Fieldday will take place. Maybe a good oportunity to work some DX.

The 2m part will take place from 11:00-13:00 UTC while the 70cm part will take place from 9:00-11:00 UTC…

Exchange: RS(T)+serial number+locator (format: JN49GX)

2 Likes

0900 - 1300 is also the RSGB AFS Superleague session on 70cm this coming Sunday.

2 Likes