Another fine days radio

I’m assuming that working the same station on two different summits on the same day, counts as two different contacts as far as logging into the data base is concerned?

On Saturday, I managed sixteen 2m S2S contacts from Shining Tor, from what looks to be about 160 contacts on the 2m band. I’m just checking for duplicates, before posting the log

Sadly, the activation was interrupted by hail on a couple of occasions, the worst one at 1402 which lasted half an hour, forcing me to break down the station until the WX cleared… this costing me dear :frowning:

All contacts made on using the FT-857, dipole, 20Ah SLAB and mostly between 5 and 8 Watts.

Once again, a big thanks to all the people who took the time trouble to call in.

Special thanks to…

Neil 2E0TDX/P
Karren 2E0XYL/P
Jimmy MW3EYP/P
Edward MW6NSR/P
for the S2S

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you had a most enjoyable day. Excellent stuff on attaining such a high number of contacts - and a hail shower to boot: my favourite winter weather, especially when it pings all over the place and gets into your backpack. No honestly, in my opinion it is far better than rain, sleet or snow, that is if you have to have winter weather. :slight_smile:

Log all the contacts you made - the database will take them and should credit you will them. As for the S2S contacts, have you considered claiming the Summitsbase S2S awards? They are something I’m chasing, currently slowly slogging towards the 250 level for 2m contacts, but you don’t have to have them band-specific.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Good stuff Mike.

I would say that your QSOs with MW3EYP/P on GW/NW-042, and then later, with MW3EYP/P on GW/NW-043, could be considered as distinct contacts, and both should be logged. The Database will accept them. And of course, you can certainly claim both chaser contacts.

As Gerald says, G/SP-004 to GW/NW-042 - and G/SP-004 to GW/NW-043, will count as unique combinations in the independently run Summitsbase S2S awards.

If they were two of only four contacts in total, and it was your first (ie points scoring) activation of G/SP-004 of the year, then the Database might not consider them as distinct and not award the points. However, it’s not your first visit to Shining Tor this year, and you made “one or two” more than the four - so I really wouldn’t worry!

The batteries are on the dashboard of my car BTW.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:,

Good stuff Mike.

I would say that your QSOs with MW3EYP/P on GW/NW-042, and then later,
with MW3EYP/P on GW/NW-043, could be considered as distinct contacts,
and both should be logged. The Database will accept them. And of
course, you can certainly claim both chaser contacts.

Thanks Tom, I wanted to make sure it was correct as my 164 contacts seems to be a UK record for a single activation …albeit unofficial ;-))))

As Gerald says, G/SP-004 to GW/NW-042 - and G/SP-004 to GW/NW-043,
will count as unique combinations in the independently run Summitsbase
S2S awards.

Maybe something I’ll look into later, Tom. ATM, I’m just happy perched on a hill calling CQ and making some wonderful contacts.

If they were two of only four contacts in total, and it was your first
(ie points scoring) activation of G/SP-004 of the year, then the
Database might not consider them as distinct and not award the points.
However, it’s not your first visit to Shining Tor this year, and you
made “one or two” more than the four - so I really wouldn’t
worry!

Ok, the database seems happy enough with the log.

The batteries are on the dashboard of my car BTW.

No problem, I’ll give you a bell tonight and arrange a rendezvous.

Many thanks for your help.
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

164 contacts seems to be a UK record for a single activation

Not even close Mike, sri!

(But better than my PB).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

164 contacts seems to be a UK record for a single activation
Not even close Mike, sri!

Ha! Virtually every one of G4OBKs contacts were made on HF…

G4OBKs extremely admirable total of 262 would require a Herculean effort on VHF, probably coupled with a half decent lift.

(But better than my PB).

Early days yet, Tom. I’m going to rope in the services of G1STQ to hump some SLABs and do some logging during the summer. He needs the exercise since he quit smoking about five or six weeks ago ;-)))))

Best Regards
Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I’m just a general dogs-body. At least it is now official.

Apparently I need the excercise. Wrong.

Just a change of friends :slight_smile: