After a break

What did you buy and what was up with the 817?

What was up with the FT817ND? Display issues. I found myself squinting at it too much! (That’s the best excuse I can come up with.)

New radio? KX2. I love my gadgets and this one has a sensible size display. (That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.). I’ve got a waterproof vx8 for when it rains paired with a sotabeams mfd for 2m fm.

I’ll have to use the 817 for 2m sideband though.

Tony

Hi Tony,
I presume you tried diferent background lighting colours and contrast settings on the 817?

73 Ed.

"“What was up with the FT817ND? Display issues. I found myself squinting at it too much! (That’s the best excuse I can come up with.)”

And display content and size settings?

I think Jack is referring to doubling the size of the frequency display by a short push on the function key, going to row 11 and pressing key C (DSP). I find this a great help when portable - but of course it won’t compete with a KX2 or 3!

Brian

1 Like

Did anyone ever think that “squinting” is just an excuse to buy a new toy?

No, thought not! :slight_smile:

I don’t need an excuse, I just need the cash!

1 Like

:grin:. I need to justify it to myself. Not sure how I’ll explain it to the XYL though…

It’ll probably just “appear” in the luggage on the way to the Lakes later in the year. The conversation will go:

her: “what’s that?”

me: “it’s part of my radio kit. I have had it ages”

her: “I haven’t seen it before”

me: “you must have”

etc.

Followed with…

her: “No I haven’t.”

you: “You must have, it’s so old it’s nearly obsolete and I will need to start looking for a replacement”

You can get 2 toys into the toy box that way!

:grin:

:laughing: You read my mind!

If you don’t have an XYL (not quite in my case), you can get away with stuff like this in the kitchen and suffer no consequences :wink:

(

As I am sure any amateur will agree, that corner looks a lot better with G3ESY’s AM tower of fun there compared to some little table with a lamp on top of it !

Jonathan

5 Likes

???

welcome back!