Activator scoring Calendar year question

Hello,

I have I doubt I wish to clear in order to plan future summit activations.

According to the general rules, once you activate a summit it only counts for scoring (for the Activator) once a calendar year:
“A Summit may be activated as often as desired but an individual Activator can only claim points for operation from a particular Summit once in any calendar year.”

Does it means that if I activated a summit in July this year I can activate it again for my personal scoring in January 2012 or in July 2012?

Thanks for your support, best 73
Ignacio EA2BD

In reply to EA2BD:

January 2012.

And, you could activate it in December 2011. You wouldn’t get the summit points again, but you would get the 3 winter bonus points, if the summit concerned is above the minimum height for winter bonus.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Surely everything resets on 01/01/12?

If you activate in December 2011 don’t you get the bonus points and the summit points, then come January the 1st, you can have bonus points plus summit points again? One set of bonus points and one set of summit points per calendar year, in this example, one set for 2011 and one set for 2012.

Of course in December 2012 neither bonus or summit points could be claimed if the summit had already been activated (and points claimed) during the period between 1st January and end of Winter bonus (March 15) 2012.

Colin
M0CGH

In reply to M0CGH:

All true Colin, but I suggest you reread the original question!

The activator concerned talked about activating a summit in July this year. So when can he revisit it for points? You will see that my answer is entirely correct :wink:

He can get 3 more points from 1st December if it is a winter bonus qualifying summit, and then the whole lot again from 1st January.

Moreover, the question is really about when is the calendar year. The answer being 1st January to 31st December. Summit points and seasonal bonus points can be collected once each within that period. That might be all on the same activation, but not necessarily.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M0CGH:

Ok Tom, I think I understand what you meant now.

You meant that the summit that Ignacio activated in July can be activated again upto and including 31 December 2011 and the Winter bonus points could be claimed for that summit.

Colin

In reply to M0CGH:

:slight_smile:

We replied at the same time Tom!

Yes, it took me a while to get your point!

I understood what Ignacio was asking, but your reply had me a bit confussed for a while!

Colin

Not quite. See above (which I was editing while you posted your latest).

He can activate, of course, whenever he likes as often as he likes. He can claim the summit points again from 1st January 2012. But there may well be seasonal bonus points available that he could collect between 1st and 31st December 2011 (but no more summit points)!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Actually, if you read the SOTA documents, it is easy to get confused!

If the SOTA year follows the calendar, i.e. 01/01 to 31/12, then there are 2 Winter bonus periods! One from 01 January to 15 March and then another from 01 December to 31 December! The fact that the bonus period is classed as one period across two calendar years can seem confusing.

Maybe this is an area which could be clarified in the SOTA documents.

Yes, you can eventually work out from the documents what can be claimed when, but it isn’t 100% clear at first reading!

Colin

In reply to M0CGH & M1EYP:

Hi all,

thanks for your answers, it is much clear now.

As for me, I don’t intend to squeeze a summit to get as many points as I can from it… (imagine climbing on the 31st December and then on the 1st January to the same summit… nonsense).

Just wanted to make sure if I have to count up 365 days from the last activation date until I intend to step into that mountain again.

I have no doubts now though it would be good to clear that in the Rules in the next revision.

Tks agn, cu from a Summit! 73
Ignacio EA2BD