Activator QSO Points "Dry Pile" Award

Agreed. There is a one pointer near Atlanta ( W4G/HC-043) that is 700+ ft of elevation gain over one mile. Further north there is an 8+3 pointer (W4G/NG-035) that is a drive up with a 100 yard walk up a paved hill.

In fact, a drive-up summit can always be hiked, probably through several different routes. It’s just up to anyone taking the easy one or some other.

Guru

1 Like

Hi Guru,
That’s probably true in VK but I have read that in EU if there is a gondola to the top you are prohibited from walking. I’ve probably got that wrong.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi,
A quick look at my log shows no hard 1 pointers but plenty of easy 10 pointers.
There is one 2 pointer that I gave up on two thirds of the way there. Unlike Mallory I wasn’t going to summit and die.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi,
I always work everyone I can copy before closing unless in danger from a thunderstorm or the like. It’s not often that I work 20 or more in an activation.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Ron,
I can only speak about my experience and all the drive-on summits around me can be hiked. In fact, I have done both, hike and drive to at least 4 or 5 of them. It all depends on the mood, the available time, the type of activation…
There may be some driveable summit prohibitted for hikers but they must be a very rare case.

Guru

1 Like

Rick,
There are less than 60 one pointers within 400 km of here. Some are in private property with no entry allowed. Maybe 40 could be activated so 25 years to goat level? There’s a challenge for the 60 plus brigade.

There are less than 70 10 pointers in the same range. Most have a jeep track to the AZ.

Can’t figure why the keen activators buy a 4wd.

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi to all!

My philosophy about SOTA has changed too much at the period of time. At start point, it was the points I was running for. After the first “mountain goat”,I changed my mind to have new summits, then beautiful summits and now good company, new equipment (minimize transceivers, better antennas, other modes ect) and of course stay on a summit as long as possible!!! I do not forget that day by day I become older and wiser…
I do like SOTA rules as they are, because there is plenty of room to have your own style. Special trophies can be held just for limited periods.

73 Christos.

4 Likes

Hi Christos,

A couple of years back I decided that getting 100 unique peaks was my goal which I’ve just met. I’ve gone a bit cold on Mountain Goat. So for now it’s about new peaks, preferably attractive ones. I might get back to what drew me to mountains in the first place, VHF operation. I’ve been through a lot of antennas and many rigs. That’s done. So maybe back to where it started.

SOTA is a house with many rooms.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Hi Ron!

That’s right, it’s a circle!
My top wish, not possible for now, is S2S or/and chasing DX SOTA activators all over the world. Will it be ? Just wait for better conditions…

73 Christos.

1 Like

Hi Christos,
I like your philosophy, i am e new activator (i started 8 month ago). I love climbing. I like to have new summits, new activation summits, and just making happy all the chasers.

73’
Alain

2 Likes

Hi Mike,
Just in case you and others had not seen this one, let me bring it up here:
Given points - Online Resources / Database - SOTA Reflector

Cheers,

Guru

Hello Guru,
Thank you for sharing that link. Yes, my point was simply that Activators who are handing out a lot of points should be able to earn some kind of recognition for “working the pile dry”, in the spirit of providing many chasers the opportunity to log that summit. It might also encourage people to activate the difficult 1 point summits rather than always focus on the 10 pointers. I would guess that if chasers are tracking unique summits (like POTA) they would welcome these activations. Given the response, however, I am happy to put the idea to bed.

I have enjoyed hiking and climbing the outdoors all my life. I will never earn the MG award. My thrill in SOTA is making QRP contacts with other states, provinces, DX and s2s stations. Like many others, I stay at the summit as long as possible and try to work as many stations as I can hear. One of my dreams is to make an s2s or p2p contact with EA2IF/P someday! (after COVID and with better sun spots, perhaps).

Stay well my friend & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

I guess the question is if an activator works the pile dry but the pile is 5 people versus a pile of 60, is that any different? I can’t really see how you’d differentiate between them enough to be able to score fairly.

We’re always happy to listen to new ideas, but the devil is always in the details :slight_smile:

Andrew,
You might be asked to include “working the pile” when the number is 1 or 2.

A nondescript one pointer with 1 contact in light rain and half an hour of calling. Head for an early lunch and don’t go back.

When it’s a 10 pointer with bonus and you sidestepped in 2 m of snow up the side of a ski slope to the ridge line and the net result was 2 contacts you have to take solace in the view.

Done both.

If you do follow up I recommend a 12 m pole.

Ron
VK3AFW

“I fully expect to continue to activate summits just for the fun of it” …Mike/WB2FUV

That’s it, Mike! I’m lucky enough to live 15-minutes from the trail head to Mt Herman (W0C/FR-063) where I can hike 900-vertical feet in about an hour and be SOTA activating with chaser friends!

When the Covid lockdown hit early in 2020 I decided who the heck needs to travel to different peaks “just for the points”. Hence I’ve activated FR-063 (61) times in 2020. Once for 4-points and 60-times for the “fun of it” The hike is like a mediation and the summit is a fellowship reunion with Chaser friends! Not to mention a chance to test a new gear, antenna or just the healing effect of sitting and watching the clouds and listening to the birds while enjoying your lunch! It’s all body/mind/soul therapy!

SOTA is so much more than points it’s many things on so many levels! …the “chase for points” is just the book’s cover the real reward (awards) lie in savoring every word and chapter of an unending story.

6 Likes

This. This a million billion zillion times. :+1:

Presumably there were 3 more points if one of those activations was in the winter period? </pedantic> :wink:

I activate for love of radio and hiking-health benefits. Many days are burned up traveling too and from the SOTA summit so my only chance for fitness that day is when at the summit. I have a loose rule that if it’s a drive up I will hike a mile up from parking spot or park at top and hike a mile away then back before activating. I know that SOTA is accommodating for those who may not be physically able to hike up to summits and that is a great thing!

I just turned 51 and since starting SOTA last June I have hammered myself into the best shape since my 20s! A low QSO count in some cases does not mean just claiming points. As I am attempting all VHF MG I’ve spent hours driving/hiking up to a summit setting up my gear and calling CQ for hours sometimes not attaining 4 QSOs to claim points. I love it either way, it just makes me rethink my setup and technique. I have heard some suggest SOTA activating is like Fly-Fishing especially on VHF. You may have not caught anything but the experience is priceless.

“73”

Erik currently in a Ohio snowstorm with no possibility of activating until mid-week!

Stone Mountain! I’ve hiked up that several times before I started SOTA. I cannot wait to get that one in the logs. I’m just waiting for a overnight layover in ATL or PDK to run over and activate.