Activation report - Helvellyn LD003

Evening All
Just posted the activation report for yeaterdays Helvellyn exploits here:-

http://www.g4ytd.co.uk/HTML_files/sota_reports/Helvellyn.htm

Thanks to all the chasers for making it an enjoyable experience.

Tim

In reply to G4YTD:
Hi Tim,

Your write up was inspiring & your enthusiam infectious but words cannot express the stunned feeling I had when unveiling your photo.

Well done. I know what you mean when you say you will never forget it. There are just a few that you never can.

73, John.
(G4YSS)

In reply to G4YSS:
Thanks for the kind words John. The picture has been a long time coming, this is the first time in 35 years of walking that I have seen an inversion as impressive as this one was. There was no wind on the summit at all, real shirt sleeve operating in February!
Catch you S2S sometime soon.

:slight_smile:

Tim
(G4YTD)

In reply to G4YTD:
Well Tim What a cracking report.As you say as well a picture is worth a thousand words and that picture is worth more than that.I wish that I was fit enough and had the guts to go myself.Thanks for the 10 points all the best from Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

A terrific picture - but it made my toes curl! Whoever made those footprints was far too close to the edge of the cornice and is lucky to be alive!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff

Hopefully will be activating Helvellyn on a Sunday prior to the 15th March to gain the activator 13 points. I’m certainly not the fitest activator by a long way, I just take my own time on the ascents, but always reach the top.If it takes all day then fine, with plenty of stops on the way to take photos etc… Hi!.
If you would like to accompany me from Swirls car park, you are more than welcome. This would be my second activation of Helvellyn…

Ascending can be done in slow time, no points for the fastest ascent in SOTA or at least I don’t think their is… Hi

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to G8ADD:

My thoughts… What a fab picture. What a fab cornice. OMG! Look at where the footprints are!

Thanks for the picture. In 115 activations I have only seen one inversion :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve only ever seen one that good: some thirty years ago a group of us did the Snowdon Horseshoe, ascending in bright sunshine by the north arete of Crib Goch. At the summit platform we were amazed to see cloud to the southern horizon and filling the cwm with the line of the horseshoe projecting out of it. The cloud was spilling through the gap of the Llanberis Pass, flowing down the hill and vanishing. Terrific!

As hill walkers, we are priviledged to see some strange and marvellous sights.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3EDX:
Hi Ian.Thanks for the offer.I am interested but am unsure if I could make it to the top.If you could email me the day before you go I will see how I feel then Email is on QRZ/com. 73 Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff.
All noted. It will be my pleasure and again all day may be taken to summit Helvellyn, at ones own pace. Will keep you informed by e-mail as requested.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to G6MZX:
Morning Geoff
Thanks for the activator points too and good to speak to you from the sunshine on Tuesday (and the rain yesterday!). No guts needed for this, just a positive attitude, some common sense and an eye for your own safety. It helps in the early stages if you go with a mate or two, take your time and don’t get hung up with reaching the top, I have turned back loads of times for various reasons, but still enjoyed the day out all the same. Remember that you can be the bravest guy in the graveyard any time, but the mountains will still be there in the morning.
The path is very clear and used by thousands of people every year. I went up from the Thirmere side on Tuesday which is a good solid path all the way. The picture shows striding edge, which is quite an exiting scramble from the Patterdale side (good drop offs on both sides that get the heart pumping a bit). There are less strenuous peaks in the LD National park, with equally stunning views, and as always that great feeling of achievement too. Be warned though, it is very addictive……
Good luck, and hope to work you S 2 S one day soon.

Tim
(G4YTD)

In reply to G8ADD:
Morning Brian,
I agree, the stupidity of some defies belief. Looking at the cracks on the cornice, I don’t think it will last much longer. I was up there in the snow about 12 years ago with my father, we were leaning on the trig point looking towards home (East-ish). There were some of the nylon anorak and trainer brigade wandering around too close to the edge for comfort, we tried to tell them but were ignored, at that point a hole appeared in the snow between them and us, and an ice climber summited. He was a member of the mountain rescue team on a day out, the language was colourful to say the least, they were a good 8 feet over the edge, with next stop the tarn! You see it all on the hills. Maybe we should start a “stupid things we have seen thread”. SOTA Darwin awards??
Have fun
Tim