Activation Report Gummer's How 22/04/2011

A little more planned on this one but again decided on Gummer’s How at the last minute (pattern emerging), so all gear packed into car along with Wife and Kids (M6JRZ Included) and off we went, first problem encountered, motorway packed but that started to thin out quickly so not too much delay.

After arrival at Gummer’s How car park an ice cream first and then off up the hill which is a nice short little heart rate raiser but no whining from the kids so result there. Quite a steady trickle of people at the summit but only a couple of inquisitors and the family was happy playing/reading or kite flying (there was a stiff breeze so guying the pole firmly was essential but other than that no problems.

Joe M6JRZ decided to activate first so off we went on 70cms…Not a sole, nothing, nada, not a peep, oh well down came the moxon, up goes the slim jim and off we go, first Joe got a page of chasers then I got a page of chasers. A bit of lunch and a brew, a proper brew may I add made completely on the summit with stove and Starbucks via, oh yes no messing about here. A few more contacts each after lunch followed by another try on 70cms…Nothing, 0, zilch… oh well never mind at least the moxon proved itself on Billinge hill.

Now just one more consideration whilst activating these summits particularly in summer folks apart from the ticks don’t forget we have a poisonous snake in this country and we saw one on the way up and another on the way down so please be ultra careful its rare to spot one never mind two so there must be many many more hiding where we can’t see. Although don’t be alarmed when you see one they are very placid and will usually only attack or bite if you try to catch or handle them.

In reply to 2E0CRZ:

Now just one more consideration whilst activating these summits
particularly in summer folks apart from the ticks don’t forget we have
a poisonous snake in this country and we saw one on the way up and
another on the way down so please be ultra careful its rare to spot
one never mind two so there must be many many more hiding where we
can’t see. Although don’t be alarmed when you see one they are very
placid and will usually only attack or bite if you try to catch or
handle them.

Or tread on them, there is a report today of a girl in hospital with snakebite, so it does happen, but on all my encounters the snakes were in a hurry to get away from me, too fast even to photograph!

I rather like Gummers How, a real minature mountain with tremendous views!

Brian G8ADD