Activation of W7Y/EW-020

It was really hazy from the fires in Colorado so the views were missing, but it still was a great day on the summit. 14 QSOs with 4 S2Ss! I attempted to make an FM QSO with an activator on a CO 14er, but I was unable to make the contact. Thank you to all the chasers!

7 Likes

I tried to listen for you in SoCal but zippo.

Air quality looks pretty rough.

Is that an American Morse thigh strap?

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for trying. We did have an air quality alert today and the next mountain over (Jelm) was pretty hard to see.

Yes the key is an American Morse MS2 with the American Morse leg strap. It is made to mount the American Morse mini-paddles as well. It fits pretty well and makes for a comfortable sending experience in the field.

The rest of the gear is the Elecraft KX1, an 11.1V 2100mAh LiPo battery, a MP1 Supper Antenna, and an Arrow Yagi.

Chris, N7NAV

1 Like

Thanks for the S2S Chris! 73 Rick WB0USI

2 Likes

Rick,

Thank you! It looks warmer were you were at. It was in the 40s (F) with a nice wind coming over the summit here.

What were you using for a station set-up?

Chris, N7NAV

Yes it was warmer about 94F heading for 103F ! I use a KX3 and End Fed Random Wire antenna - forgot my coax today so had to kludge connection to antenna. Very smokey from the fires - here’s the view from my operating position back toward where I live in Mesquite NV

1 Like

That was about the view here too.

Nice station and good job on making the antenna work. When I don’t use the MP1 I put up an LNR Trail Friendly end fed. I have been thinking about making up a random wire for this rig.

Chris, N7NAV

I’ve tried Mag Loop, Link Dipole, and now the End Fed Random Wire - The EFRW goes up fast and with the KX3 tuner I can work any band. I used the KX1 for the first couple years of my SOTA journey - great little rig!

73, Rick WB0USI

1 Like

I like the LNR Tail Friendly end fed because it tunes on 40M, 30M, and 20M. With the MP1 I can tune all but 160M. The MP1 is relatively heavy so I have been thinking about a random wire. It’s light and I should be able to tune 80M, 40M, 30M, and 20M for the KX1.

Chris, N7NAV

1 Like

Hi Chris

I realize the KX1 is an “older” design and wonder what its performance is like with near by CW signals.

Paul

Nice Job! I’m scheduled for a week SOTA vacation next month to Colorado. Seeing Ring is making me want to head up that way! We’ll see where the wind blows me.

Erik
KE8OKM

Paul,

I really like the receiver on the KX1. The selectivity is very good with a 3-pole variable crystal filter that ranges from 300 Hz to 2 KHz. Wayne Burdick, N6KR, has always designed great radios and he put his all into the KX1. If memory serves, it was his ideal trail rig when he completed it. And then he blew it out of the water with the KX3 and KX2.

I can park pretty close to other signals and block them out pretty well. It will overload if it is a strong CW station, but for what the rig is it does great. I have used it in contests and the receiver on it is pretty good.

Chris, N7NAV

1 Like

This is the best time of year. We have not seen snow yet, but you never know when Winter will find us.

Chris, N7NAV

Thanks Chris and I wonder how the KX1 compares to some of Steve KD1JV’s radios including the MTR family.

I like building kit radios and both the KX1 and K1 design and use of a pair of NE602s is similar to some of Steve’s designs. I’ve built a K1 and Steve’s 3 band CW rig.

Paul

Paul,

Ed, @N7EDK and I were just discussing that:

He is working with his KX1 at the moment I believe and I think he would be the best to answer the comparison question.

Chris, N7NAV

1 Like