Activation of VE2/MA-123

Even though this is a relatively a low height summit, this was by far my toughest hike ever. The trail on the map was nonexistent, being completely overgrown by thick bush, with multiple crisscrossed blowdowns all the way to the summit. Overall, it took me 4 hours to do about 6 km. A big thanks for your patience, as there were about 5 mosquitoes inside my headnet while trying to decode and answer back.

This is the first activation ever for that summit, I suggest: do NOT attempt unless you are in good physical shape and can navigate easily in dense forest. 73,

6 Likes

Congratulations for your activation, only with the picture we can imagine how it was.
Your reward is your name as the first ever activator there.

73, Éric

2 Likes

Thanks Eric, often there were 2-3 like this all entangled… Now 2 days to recuperate… i did not expect this to be so demanding… :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

Sly,
I feel for you. I hiked Mount Paugus W1/HA-066 last week and found a similar situation. The approach to the summit was littered with blown down trees that must have been caused by a Microburst. I swear some of these 1 and 2 point humps are way more difficult then the four-thousand footers.
fred

3 Likes

Thanks Fred, i’ve also done a dozen 4k in the Whites in the past, and this one was way harder ! There should be bonus points for this, hihi ! 73,

3 Likes

Woww congrats ! and thanks for posting info on the summits page. I just imagine what a suffering this must have been with all the bush and mosquitos. 73 :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks Eric, i was singing the “Black fly song” in my head while hiking :smiley:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Fred, that’s the one ! I only knew Bill Staines version (he’s from NH i think), but the black fly doing CW was a really nice touch !! hihi !

1 Like

@VA2MO @VA2EO : Eric & Eric, should you want to attempt this summit:

During my hike i encountered a road which helped me for only about 200m. It is not on the SEPAQ maps, and did not look like a logging road. It could be a servicing road for a dam up north. I suggest you try to find a better map than the ones i used. That road did not help me much as it did not go back to the camping i was staying at, but should you find where it’s coming from it would make you avoid about 70% of the hassle i encountered. GL, 73

1 Like

@VA2EO @VA2YZX @WX1S

Eric, Sly, and Fred–thank you for chasing me today on W1/HA-033! My experience on the summit today could be summed up by the Black Fly Song. It was so ridiculous, I was laughing thinking of the song and remembering this thread. I apologize for any poor sending, had to swat the flies away in between words and sometimes between characters!!!

In regards to the original topic, great job on the first activation!

73 de Jonathan “JB”

3 Likes

Thanks JB, the worst is when they make their way into your headnet. And be careful, they are proficient in CW as shown in the clip, which is probably why they know where you are hihi !

BTW, Thanks for the QSL card, i am sending you one back this week !
All the best, 73

2 Likes

@VA2EO @VA2YZX @KC1MXB

Jonathan, always a pleasure. I worked you from home and ran up Blue Job W1/NL-024 for the S2S. Sorry to hear about the bugs. Soon they will be gone. Except in Ontario!!
See you on the next one.
73, Fred

3 Likes

Sly, I had no headnet but was wearing my wind shirt with my hood on and my raincoat covering my legs. I’m surprised they were not flying into my straight key and interrupting the contact! I think you are right, they must be able to detect the CW transmissions!

Fred, strangely the bugs were only bad on the summit–the rest of the hike was fine today. Thank you very much for your S2S efforts! You had a very strong signal!

Respectfully,
73 de Jonathan “JB”

3 Likes

JB,
It’s a pleasure to chase you, when I see a W1/W2/VE2 alerts I do my best to chase them because, one day or an other, I will activate theses summits and have many more complete hi!
I have been surprise to hear you so strong on 30m, a real 599+
I am sorry to hear about black flies, never forget to close your mouth as much as possible hi!
Here is my solution when I activate in the Northern boreal forest this time of the year. https://www.bugshirt.com/products/elite/

See you next time.
73, Éric

2 Likes