Activating Summit with two OM

Activating alone is fun but can be dangerous.

I am wondering and confused on how to proceed when activating a summit with two or more hams.

My understanding is that we can activate it at the same time (best on different QRG and/or mode) and count it as a valid activation (as long as we reach the 4 required QSOs). Contacts on the same summit are not valid.

Any advise or recommendation for such type of operation would be most welcomed.

73 de ON4KJM, Jean-Marc

In reply to ON4KJM:

“My understanding is that we can activate it at the same time (best on different QRG and/or mode) and count it as a valid activation (as long as we reach the 4 required QSOs). Contacts on the same summit are not valid.”

That’s pretty much it. From experience it’s best if you can get about 200 metres between the stations.

Victor GI4ONL

By experience, to avoid confusing the chasers, in case we carry only 1 TX and Antenna, the first operator works only 7Mhz, and the second only 10Mhz…(just for example), and keep giving the call every 3 qso.
73 Gerald F6HBI

In reply to ON4KJM:
Hi Jean-Marc!

Activations with two or more hams are my favorite.
Besides the security-aspect, it has been always more fun to join a nice day with friends on a summit. We had all configs depending the rig and modes…
The nice thing is also, that the standby-operator is able to take pictures and/or videos - hi!

73 es GL de Chris, OE3CHC

Hi Jean-Marc,

I have done already some activations in several kinds of flavours: single station, double stations even triple stations. Each setup has it’s advantages and disadvantages. The most important part is having fun and it is really a pleasure to read that your are enjoying SOTA!
A tip is to use different polarized antenna’s: one station with a dipole and the other with a vertical really helps. Franz (ON9CBQ) and I are in general not more than 50-100 meters separated during an activation.

73, Peter - ON4UP

In reply to ON4KJM:

When working on VHF, when it can be difficult to get 4 QSOs there is
no reason why you can’t both work the first 4 stations contacted. Then you
can both do your own thing.

Rick M0RCP

In reply to ON4KJM:

Hi Jeam-Marc,

I have now carried out over 200 activations with Paul G4MD and I can certainly recommend joint activations. Usually Paul operates on 5MHz and 3.6MHz with occasional operation on 7MHz, all SSB. I normally use 144MHz and 432MHz SSB, often followed by 10MHz or 7MHz CW. Only on a few occasions have we shared equipment and that has been down to either the weather or bad band conditions. We have always set out to be 100% independent of each other. It is good to have the security of each other’s company and also equipment back-up in case any problems arise.

Usually we set up some distance apart from each other, but on some summits that has not been possible due to limited space. We have actually operated sitting next to each other where getting good shelter from the weather has been of paramount importance - http://www.flickr.com/photos/18897403@N00/4612602651/in/photostream

73, Gerald G4OIG

P.S. It is good fun when there are a lot of activators operating on a single summit - after all, there should be enough bands to go around!