Action on Pendle

Hi Dad,

When I put my log into the database of my activation of Pendle Hill G/SP-005, I actually made 7 QSOs not 6 QSOs.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

My training session for the Summit Master Chef competition was interesting. I found that cooking beef burgers, with fried mushrooms and onion in windy conditions was quite a challenge. I really need to make an effective wind shield for the stove.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Can your on-summit catering services be booked? Also who carries the stove, fuel and food?

The thought of having some freshly prepared summit grub is very appealing.

Andy
MM0FMF

The combination of freshly fried burgers, onions, mushrooms and butter on soft white bread (hang on, sounds like a John Shuttleworth song) was really quite delicious. Just a pity that the melting point of butter was not accurately estimated by our summit physicist. Resulting effect was a delicious summit feast, and a Berghaus jacket covered in butter.

I can hardly wait to find out what Richard’s next SOTA-related proof-of-concept experiment will be!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

When I put my log into the database of my activation of Pendle Hill G/SP-005, I actually made 7 QSOs not 6 QSOs.

Is this a new feature Andy, bonus magic QSOs?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Many years ago I bought a little backpacking stove with a “flying lead” pipe to the gas cartridge and we used to cook Vesta meals, mainly chow mein and prawn curry on the summits, we found that a biscuit tin made a good windshield! Bacon and egg was also on the menu, also tinned Irish stew followed by tinned rice pudding, but toast using a pyramid toaster was an utter failure! These culinary adventures petered out because we got fed up with doing the washing up in the first stream we came to!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

The thought of having some freshly prepared summit grub is very
appealing.

At the moment the idea is more appealing than the actuality. I have ordered a windshield which should help a bit to reduce cooking times and fuel use. Spray oil has proved to be unreliable in the cold so I will revert to ordinary cooking oil.

It does suit my style of activating in company as I am usually finished well before anyone else and then end up kicking my heels.

Steak sandwiches or possibly a Croque Monsieur are next.

Washing up is easier than Brian suggests. Just don’t bother.

Incidentally, a Google search for freezerbag cookery is most interesting. Cook your meal and make your coffee at the same time.

Richard
G3CWI

[Was just editing some more anecdotes into my activation report - then pressed ‘delete’ instead of ‘update’ - so here is the updated version, but at the end of the thread instead of the beginning! Sorry for any confusion].

Richard G3CWI invited me on a joint SOTA activation for Wednesday 30th November 2011, but inexplicably left the choice of summit to me. Liam, faced with the option of coming out for a walk or indulging in a “lazy day” at his Nanny’s house, inexplicably chose the outdoor outing.

Jimmy M3EYP, faced with the choice of repeating a previously-done SOTA Unique, or a day at home vegetating in front of his computer, inexplicably chose the activation. Edward M6NSR immediately accepted Jimmy’s invitation when 'phoned. The only inexplicable aspect of this was that he only had “night before” notice, which is not normally enough for Ed!

So it was a car full of five that set off from Macclesfield around 0745z, and headed north up the A34, M60 and A56. A lorry took exception to me limiting my speed to that of the vehicle in front of me and tried to barge me into the hard shoulder as punishment!

Breakfast was taken in the big Tesco, just off the M60 at Reddish. Any 8 items plus Tropicana orange juice for £4.25 was an acceptable part of the day. We were concerned for the later safety of the group though as Richard failed to navigate his way out of the Tesco store to the car park. And then I failed to navigate the car back onto the M60 and needed a second attempt.

Jimmy then took over navigation, and while he was not up to his usual form either, he did manage to get us safely to the parking spot up the lane out of Barley. Richard informed us that he normally parks in the village, so this would be an unusually short walk up Pendle Hill for him. Especially when you consider that village is Prestbury.

It was time to strike out for the hill, so the five of us kitted up and set off along the farm track. At the junction, a glance to the left revealed that the more graded path had not benefited from any groundwork, so we would, as usual, turn right and follow the standard ascent up the well-maintained, surfaced and often stepped path. The PROW straight ahead up the very steep gradient was not considered, except as a short-lived joke.

The was a stiff breeze blowing, and it was very cold. Therefore, we were all surprised when Liam repeatedly wanted to layer down. None of the rest of us even considered such a tactic!

We reached the wall, which is about 10m inside the AZ, but turned left to attain the summit anyway. It did not take long to assess the wind and potential (lack of) shelter in the summit area, before all turning back to the wall. The map clearly showed this area to be within the 540m contour, so we could use the tall wall as effective shelter, and be assured that we were well within the AZ.

Richard G3CWI was already QRV on his flea-power 30m CW PP3 set-up, and extending his much-cherished World Record with a further 22 QSOs. I think his wife keeps replacing that battery with a new one when he is not looking! Richard had completed his activation while Edward, Jimmy and myself were still setting up our respective stations, and got on with his second planned activity of being the summit chef.

His combination of freshly fried burgers, onions, mushrooms and butter on soft white bread (hang on, sounds like a John Shuttleworth song) was really quite delicious. Just a pity that the melting point of butter was not accurately estimated by our summit physicist. Resulting effect was a delicious summit feast, and a Berghaus jacket covered in butter.

I can hardly wait to find out what Richard’s next SOTA-related proof-of-concept experiment will be! My flask of mulligatawny soup was put to shame, although it was nonetheless enjoyed by all partakers.

Being on the north side of the summit wasn’t the optimum for Jimmy and Edward’s VHF activation, but using HTs and SOTA Beam they made 7 and 4 QSOs respectively on 2m FM. Jumping on the recent upsurge in 10m band conditions, I erected the MM10 groundplane antenna. After a slow start, I made 28 contacts on 10m CW, including a couple into the USA (including registered chasers - thanks guys) and a very pleasing QSO into CO - Cuba.

I tried a couple of calls on 10m SSB and 10m FM, but without success. I didn’t self-spot because Richard was keen to get off the hill. By the time I had packed away, Richard and Liam had commenced their descent. I met them at the car, closely followed by Jimmy and Edward. But Ed was concerned that he had lost the helical antenna from his HT. Fortunately, he found it just by the cattle grid at the start of the farm track.

Post-match refreshments were at the Pendle Inn in Barley, and featured the sour fruity Pride of Pendle ale and the altogether more bodied ale from Beartown Brewery, Congleton. When Jimmy attempted to buy another drink at 2.57pm, he was told that they had closed at 3pm. When it was pointed out that it was not yet 3pm, they stated that we all had to be out by 3pm, so they couldn’t serve. Disappointing.

Moods lifted when Liam tried to responsibly dispose of his pork scratchings packet. “Where’s tha bin?” he called. “Up Pendle Hill as well you know son” I replied, impressed that my 14 year old son had nailed Lancashire dialect so quickly.

A call at a garden centre/farm shop/tea rooms sort of place near Bury saw us all stocking up on coffee cake, strawberry and black pepper jam, pheasant pate and brownies to take home. The rest of the drive home was grotty in Manchester rush-hour traffic, but we got there and agreed it had been a day well spent, even if waiting another day would have returned 5 activator points instead of 2!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

even if waiting another day would have returned 5 activator points instead of 2!

Whereas it has after all! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

I very nearly made that very same observation in my last edit - but I don’t like to kick a man when he’s down!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
The drive home was grotty in Manchester rush-hour traffic.Hi Tom an alternative route would be.Lymm truck stop M6 to Preston and A59 to Clitheroe.And dine at the Asherton Arms at Downham.73 Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:
The Assheton Arms at Downham is a lovely pub owned by the Assheton family, more formally known as Lord Clitheroe, however after 28 years of service the landlord, David, has decided to hang up his keys and retire. The new landlord, some guy called Marco Pierre White from down south, will be taking over in December this year so lord knows what that will do to the food menu and the range of real ales that were the attraction to the place. Time will tell, my dad thinks it will be overpriced food and fizzy wine, not good for the walkers and shooters who will probably have to take their boots off before going in.

In reply to M3LMP:

Expect at least one real ale from JW Lees brewery, Manchester.

g1ink from Buxton where the snow is just starting to fall.

In reply to G1INK:

We’ve got about 2cms laying here and there have been snow showers on and off all morning with more predicted for the afternoon.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

You are turning into a lager swilling southern softie - 2cms - pah, we get more than that in summer! 20cms outside and the xyl has taken sympathy and is digging the track to my workshop.

Think I might sit back with another cup of tea!

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:
the xyl has taken sympathy and is digging the track to my workshop.

Think I might sit back with another cup of tea!

Barry GM4TOE

Care to pass on your secret? :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3LMP:

I live in Maresfield, East Sussex. The village pub was The Chequers, an old coaching inn. Marco White (once famous cook 14 years ago) took over the pub as part of a chain. In 12 months he reduced, and reduced, the bar areas to tables for food. We have now lost our village pub. MPW is a disaster to any inn and to any village. I feel sorry for the Assheton Arms. 8-( x20+

The loss was described as a re-launch!