AC3B is MG!

Congratulations to AC3B achieving MG today on W3/PO-009! Well done Jim! Jim (north of 60) is a inspiration to us ummm…young-guys and women!

Now get working on the second!

15 Likes

Congrats Jim!
You’re setting a good example for the young whippersnappers.

Ken and Kay, KE7BGM

1 Like

Congratulations Jim on achieving Mountain Goat.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Hi everyone…after my last outing on April 11th to Big Pine Hill, I hit the Mountain Goat SOTA level with my 1000th point…which has finally cured that “nasty” Goat-fever thing one gets with this wonderful program :wink:

I just have to mention some folks who were a big help to me…without whom I am sure I would have never gotten here…and my appreciation to them has no bounds…

John Huke, K3JH and Glenn Mohler, AB3TQ (SK): quite serendipitously I met John face-to-face at a local ARC meeting and he and Glenn were nice to take me out to my first several summits…needless to say I was hooked. John also met Jill, N3ICE on a 2m net and the 4 of us became a SOTA traveling team for several months…building my SOTA experience along the way.

Jill, N3ICE (W3’s Delaware 1st GOAT) truly “kicked” my knowledge and skills up towards becoming “expert level” at planning multi-summit outings: mapping skills (Caltopop, etc.), GPS skills, hiking in snow/ice, among many other outdoors related skills. Without Jill’s knowledge of these skills…I wonder if I might ever achieve SOTA Goat. You see, the problem with Delaware SOTA-hams (all 2 of us) is we have ZERO summits…so to get to some beautiful summits in Pennsylvania, Maryland, or Virginia summits…requires a lot of planning and driving 450-550 miles round trip for a multi-summit day “blitz”…(trying to maximize the SOTA Goat points “per mile” of driving :wink:

Chasers…for sure you are the reward for the trip to the summits!

Here are my top 30 chasers…DX and North America

THANK YOU (and ALL Chasers) for chasing a QRP SSB station:

Top North America Chasers

KN3Y
W2SE
K3TCU
K2CZH
W5GDW
AB4PP
K3EFS
W0MNA
NR3E
NE4TN
W9MRH
K1LIZ
KG3W
K4MF
AE4FZ
K0LAF
K6HPX
N4EX
W0ERI
W7RV
WF4I
AC1Z
KX0R
W4KRN
WC3B
K2JB
N2AF
WD8KDB
WA9HED
NG6R

Top DX Chasers

EA7GV
F4WBN
EA1DHB
G0RQL
DJ5AV
EA2IF
VE2JCW
SA4BLM
SM4CJM
EA2LU
OE6GND
2E0WDX
OK2PDT
VE1PVH
VE1WT
CT2IWW
DB6VP
DG1NPM
DJ80G
DK0HF
DL5RBW
EA2BD
EA2DT
EA4R
F5UDX
G0EVV
G0FEX
G4OBK
G4OBV
IZ1GDB

Attached you will see a few pictures of my outing, operating style, and summits…

Speaking of operating style…I operate standing up (more comfortable for my back) !

• Initially KX3 (10-14 watts) but now KX2 (10 watts), both with built in ATUs
  • Initially Alex Loop, but now LNR 40/20 EFHW, Packtenna 60m EFHW…inverted-V, 6’ coax BNC connectors
  • Sotabeams 10m telescoping pole with homebrew guying ( Guy Ring for a 31-ft Jackite Pole ) or just leaning against trees
  • Bioenno Lithium Iron Phosphate 12v 3 Ah battery held in a Tom Bihn Cubelet 210 Ballistic bag (next to my body especially during cold weather)
  • Paper logging
  • ‘Desk’: 9-inch x13-inch kitchen cutting board, currently holding the KX2 with rubber bands (but intend to go to heavy-duty dual-lock velcro). I hold the ‘desk’ against my body with one hand while the other hand is either logging or using the MH3 microphone…this all works quite well.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you!! SOTA has been a powerful life changer for me…

72/73, Jim / AC3B

9 Likes

Congratulations Jim on MG :goat: :+1: Always enjoy working you on a summit. 73 Karen

Congratulations, Jim, on Mountain Goat! Always great to work you.
73 Gary

Way to go Jim! Baaaa!

Andy, N4LAG

Baaaaa :goat:

Huge Congrats!

73 de VE6JTW

Congrtats on the MG milestone.

Malen
VE6VID

Congratulations! Always a special feeling hitting that first milestone. The bug doesn’t go away though.
73 de OE6FEG/M0FEU
Matt

Congratulations!

Eric